Corn husks?

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 4:56 pm

How often can corn husks and silks be given? Thanks :-)

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 4:59 pm

I give daily all year long.

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks mkkayla! I was wondering because my mom buys tons of beautiful corn all the time, and always throws away the husks. I gave some to the girls last night and they loved it.

dellybean

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 5:55 pm

My boys are chowing down on them as we speak. They go even crazier for corn husks than for carrots - go figure.

My favorite part about the husks is that they're free! I usually scoop up a couple of bags full at the grocery store from the husk bin next to the corn. The grocery store doesn't mind at all. Score!

Feylin

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Oh yes. I think some posters even dry husks to feed all year long.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Oliver says the silks are even better than the husks!

That said, we feed husks daily (when I can get a hold of some).

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 8:16 pm

ONe year when we grew corn we gave them the entire stalks too. That disappeared, as did the husks and silks.

rpaws

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 8:36 pm

The corn from Florida has arrived here!

While too pricey yet for me to buy for myself to eat, I'm able to pick through the barrel by the corn pile and get a good bag of husks for the piggies. It's cute to see them eat the silk as if it were noodles.

Tuggell

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Yeah, just like piggie s'ghetties, rpaws!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Corn husks and silks get devoured here when available!

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 pm

I feed them when the local sweet corn is in the store in the summer. I never thought of feeding it daily.

Does anyone know what the Calcium Phosphorus ratios are on husks and silk? I did a quick look and didn't see it on the charts.

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Please make sure you wash them really well. I usually throw away the top couple of layers. They tend to use more pesticides on corn because they are protected by the husks. That being said, my boys love the husks.