Organic Bamboo Cotton Fleece?

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 pm

I was going threw ebay looking at fleece, thinking about getting some new stuff for the girls and I came across this:

Ebay Bamboo Cotton Fleece

I was wondering if anyone has used this and what people think.
Would it be safe to use like normal fleece?

Kat

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm

I've used a 100% bamboo batting in guinea pig sacks, beds etc instead of synthetic batting before and it works really well. I especially like that it's anti-bacterial.

As for the bamboo + cotton fleece, I'm no expert, but I think it really has to be polyester to wick properly. I don't think that natural fibres wick like polyester fleece.

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm

No, that's going to be absorbent of it's made of cotton and bamboo (think like a fleece college sweatshirt). It's a different kind of fleece. It might be able to replace your towels though.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks, I was wondering what it would be like.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Uh, oh. I just ordered some organic heavy fleece from Near Sea Naturals and paid quite a bit for it. Rats!!!!

Feylin

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Is it really antimicrobal?

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't know Feylin. Its what they are saying but really one never knows for sure. But I would think it is if they are saying it is.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:40 pm

Feylin, I keep hearing bamboo is naturally antimicrobial. I also keep not believing it.

Judi, I'm sure you can still make some use out of it. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it can replace towels.

jedifreac

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:50 pm

We've used bamboo towels for the absorbent part of the fleece set up before. I like the idea of the antimicrobial (they say that in knitter's circles, too) but I don't know if it's true.

Kat

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 1:57 am

I tried looking this up, and found it hard to find unbiased sources. I did, however, find this article: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/bamboo_sheets_k.php

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 am

Great find Kat, now I'm thinking maybe I should pick some sheets for the family on top of the piggies.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 am

Just an update. I ordered some wonderful heavy organic fleece from http://www.nearseanaturals.com. Beautiful stuff. Shrank like the dickens so I didn't order enough, but.... the darn stuff doesn't absorb AT ALL. In fact, the pee puddles on the top! I tried turning it over - same thing. It is not treated in any way, so go figure. 6 yards of expensive organic cotton fleece. I think I will make a lounge outfit with the 4 yards I didn't use. The other is already stained after 2 uses. Sigh...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 am

Very surprising it does not absorb at all. I used towels for years and they did fine. Something is up with that stuff.

Cotton will definitely stain. It takes dyes very well. Blood on cotton can be tough to impossible to get out if it has set.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 pm

I read (sorry, don't have the source) that to make cloth out of bamboo requires a lot of processing and is not "green".

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Oh, I somehow missed the bamboo. Sounds like an entirely different animal and not a "cotton" at all. Not in the least surprised it is not absorbent.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Judi, how many times did you wash it? Organic cotton sometimes has a kind of filmy surface that takes a long time to wash out (on hot).

I've also heard that about bamboo. If you look at the label it's nothing more than rayon. Rayon that was once bamboo but rayon none the less.

16 posts • Page 1 of 1