Corn husks?

Hunybee

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Ok, I just bought some corn in the husks this past weekend. I got all excited about feeding piggy 'sketti. They weren't too impressed. Took a couple of sniffs and turned away from it. :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Corn is a very poor food. I would never feed it daily. The interior silks and soft husks are fine though.

jedifreac

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:54 pm

My foster pigs are terrified of corn husks. Poor guys.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 12:43 am

My pigs said no way too. I'll try again later this summer, but they were unimpressed.

strawberrymentos

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 2:07 am

My pigs love corn husks. I give them only the inner husks though, and rinse carefully.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 3:32 am

My pigs love it. But I am afraid of the pesticides too and throw away the top layers like DaCourt. But we are planting corn in the garden this weekend! I hear it is hard to grow so we will see.

Kat

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 am

Ooh I never thought of growing it myself - let me know how it goes! I love corn, and the pigs love husks - it's win-win!

Alibabble

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 4:42 am

Over the years mine have all gone crazy over the corn husks. I too will grab free bag fulls at the grocery store, the produce guys laugh at me but seem rather resigned at this point in time.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 5:01 am

It is Fairy's favourite snack. The husks and especially the silks that is. The girls all have it daily during summer, and we eat the cobs;)
We grow some too. It is great being able to pick a few leaves fresh for them. Often the cobs themselves don't ripen (the last few summers haven't been quite sunny and warm enough where we have our veg bed) but we only really want the green leaves etc anyway.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 5:27 am

How many rows do you have, MildredM? We are planning on three rows of four stalks, which we were told is the minimum for them to pollinate. And how do you keep the birds from trying to eat the corn?

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 6:50 am

We plant around 15 plants in 3 rows, Charibdis, quite close together really (we don't have a lot of space!). We were also going to try 1 block of just 4 in the flower border to see what happens. Even if we don't get cobs the girls love the green leaves;)

The birds didn't bother them at all - they are more interested in the raspberries! We tried lettuce for the guineas but the snails got to it first!

My friend sets the sweetcorn seeds for us in her greenhouse. We hope to plant them out in a week or two after all threat of frosts has passed.

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 7:38 am

Ooh, lots of answers! I wish I could buy JUST husks. Unfortunately, we have to buy the corn too! Also, is this cranberry juice okay to dilute and give to guineas?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Health-Cr ... 959&sr=8-8