Alice can't use her back legs

Deb K

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi all,

Alice (who is about 7) cannot use her back legs. She drags them behind her (straight out). She does not appear to be in pain and is eating and drinking as normal. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Deb

mimilicious

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Is there any chance she could have fallen, even a little way? This happened to a piggie I had when I was a kid. Her back legs were paralysed after a small but bad fall onto her back from about 10 inches up. She dragged both legs, but was otherwise fine...eating, drinking etc. The vet gave her an injection and she was able to use one leg. The next week she had a second injection and fully regained use of both back legs again.

It's usually nerve damage to the spine I believe. Please get her to a vet asap as the sooner the treatment the better.

Good luck & we wish Alice piggie luck. x

Deb K

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Thank you, Mimi.

No, I am 99% sure that she didn't fall. Can you please let me know what the shot was? So, that I can bring that up as a possibility to my vet?

Thank you for your prompt response.

Deb

mimilicious

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:42 pm

I think it was just vitamin B, but not sure. Also she may need some Metacam (pain relief). Piggies are extremely good at hiding pain. Generall the prognosis is very good for this type of situation.

mimilicious

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:51 pm

It may be coincidence that the vitamin B helped. I would see a vet asap too. An xray would show if there was something going on with her bones interfering with walking like arthritis, bone loss or injury.

mimilicious

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm

It may well have not been vit B Lynx...it was 25 years ago when i was a kid and my mum took her to the vet!

If it happened suddenly it could be injury or infection. If more slowly, and the legs are rigid perhaps arthritis. Mimi has arthritis in one of her back legs, but doesn't drag it. It is fixed & doesn't bend. It isn't causing her any problems though, thankfully! She's still quick, especially where food's concerned!

Deb K

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Thank you! Long term though, if she is not in pain, there would be no need to put her down would there?

mimilicious

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 4:24 pm

I wouldn't have thought so. If she is behaving normally otherwise and happy, she may just need a bit extra care and attention re: keeping clean etc.

I really would advise getting her to a vet though as Lynx said. I think you need to find out what's causing this.

smartorl

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 6:26 pm

My guess would be a steroid injection rather than Vit B. Just a thought.

I would definitely see a vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, I would make sure that she has water and food in close proximity.

How long has she been this way?

The long term issue would be if she is dragging the limbs then she likely has no feeling, if she has no feeling, she will most likely damage them with the dragging, I have even seen some that will chew on their lifeless limbs. At that point infection would be probable and extreme diligence would need to be practiced to keep her from being toxic.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 6:26 pm

I agree that there’s no reason to put her down due to her back legs as long as she is doing well otherwise and doesn’t seem to be in any pain. Also agree on taking her to a vet as it sounds like she at least needs an x-ray.

If you’re not doing so already I would recommend weighing her once a week to monitor for any weight loss since that COULD be a sign that she’s in pain or uncomfortable. Don’t necessarily panic if there is weight loss as it’s also not unusual for senior guinea pigs to lose some weight but it will help you monitor her overall condition.

Also, if you’re not doing it already, you might consider switching her bedding to fleece as it may be easier for her to get around on fleece. Just guessing on the fleece. The link mimilicious posted might give you some more ideas on modifications people made for their guinea pigs with hind leg paralysis.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Ditto on the steroid. Definitely ask.