Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

floey

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 8:43 am

Pimpinpuji - yep that's right! good luck!

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 am

A few weeks ago, I bought three aluminum trays (you know, for baking stuff in the oven) as containers and did a little experiment:

#1: Soaked newspaper and paper towel
#2: Soil for plants, 99 cents at CH Martin
#3: Growing cubes with soil (google "seed starting" images)

About same amount of seeds in each container, same location, same watering technique (mornings and evenings)

Results:

- Almost nothing happened to the newspaper tray
- Lots of sprouting and growing action in the soil tray
- Some sprouting in the growing cubes

It was clear that the soil method was most successful in my case, and I've switched all trays over to soil. Works for me! The soil was 99 cents and it's really not messy at all, as it stays in the trays.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Floey, it worked! Although a few days in, I did notice that whitish fungus growing. I ignored it, but had immense itching all over my body (especially my feet) after a few days. The itching may have been from some other factor, but I was almost immediately better after I moved the grass outside.

I had two batches going, of which one was moved after sprouting, and the other was moved a tad early. The first batch seems to be doing fine, while the second batch seems to be rather sparse. I'm not sure how successful this experiment will be, but it's been quite an interesting adventure so far!

Thanks for your help!

Do you think it would be a good idea to stick poops in?

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:21 pm

The mold issue worries me. Do you have to soak the seeds when growing wheatgrass? I just couldn't feed my boys wheatgrass if it had mold.

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:24 pm

I only got mold when I tried to grow it on newspaper/paper towel. So far my two trays with soil have been doing great for almost three weeks, no mold whatsoever.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:26 pm

caruba, did you put drainage holes in your pans? That is a good (cheap) idea to plant grass in. They are shallow enough for it! I have some rye grass seed I have been dying to plant!

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Nope, I did not! Just put a layer of soil in the trays, then the seeds (it was barley and they didn't even soak, I put them straight in), another thin layer of soil to cover the seeds, and that's it. Just put the whole thing on my windowsill just like that.

The trick is to water at least twice a day. They use more water than you'd think.

Caspersmom

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

I've been growing wheat grass since we lived in northern Australia and it was too hot for grass to grow there. I buy hard winter wheat berries from health food stores.

The mold can (and should) be rinsed away when you rinse the grass twice a day. Always cut the grass for your pigs so they don't eat the mold, and wash before feeding. You only get one good batch of grass from each planting (compost the roots/soil).

Don't let the containers sit in water, either. I use organic potting soil and the containers are from strawberries or other fruits (cherry tomatoes, blueberries) in those plastic containers with holes in the bottom. I keep mine on the window ledge above the sink so I remember to rinse them often. I make a new batch every two or three days (Casper's grass is juiced for her mush).

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 am

Today I noticed an odd black-colored growth. I think I'll be throwing both batches out, because it looks so sinister. :(

I need to find a grass that can be grown outside, because of my allergies.

If I gave unlimited amounts of cilantro or spearmint throughout the day, would that be equivalent to unlimited grass? I suppose not.

I tried to find another dealer who would be willing to import some products for me, and he ended up flirting with me on the phone, rather than discussing business. I let it continue long enough to get my product details in, in hopes that he would take an extra special effort to help me out. Oh, the things I do for my unappreciative piggies!

I also forwarded him the "Oxbow" application, in hopes that he would be willing to carry their supply.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sun May 23, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm so happy! I can't wait to be able to give the wheat grass to my girls! I think it should be good in about 2 days, no? It grows so fast!

What do you think?

And there is no mold on the bottom. They can eat the roots and everything?

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 pm

Wow, this looks GREAT! Now go share your no-soil no-mold secret with the rest of us! :)

(Yup, they can eat the whole thing, but only some will eat the roots)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon May 24, 2010 12:00 am

Just a thought here. If you let your pigs eat the roots you will be constantly planting. If you treat your grass like a lawn and cut it yourself, you can get several cuttings before you plant again.