Do you really need to clean a piggy's penis?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Most of my males don't need routine cleaning although I check them from time to time. Once I notice a problem I check more frequently and clean if needed.

onetwo

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm

I had a hard time finding mineral oil as well. Look for it in the laxative section at your local pharmacy or local store that carries ex-lax and such. You should be able to find unscented there (heaven for bid you drink scented mineral oil to lubricate yourself! Yuck!)

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks! I will check there!

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon May 24, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm sorry for bringing up this old topic, but I didn't think it would be necessary to start a new one. Two days ago my fiance and I attempted to clean the boys' nether regions, and I was under the impression that you felt for the ridge and pressed in slightly and that the penis would come out, but we had no luck with that. Then I looked at the impaction page again since it briefly discusses cleaning debris and smegma from the area, but what is the best position for the cavy to be in, in order to clean it? It almost looks like the cavy in the picture is on their back. I could just keep letting the exotics veterinarian do it, but it would probably be less stressful on them (and the wallet) to have it done at home. I'm really afraid of hurting them though, James was really freaked out when we tried.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 pm

I sit mine on my lap like little boys, facing out. Then I pull the foreskin back.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon May 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Ah, ok, that's what I was wondering. Thank you AldenM1, and for the quick reply as well. It's probably going to be really difficult with James due to his very redundant prepuce.

jlthomas79

Post   » Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 pm

Wow this was an amusing topic that I am sad to have missed out on. How ironic that tonight while my daughter was doing HW and I pulled Shadow out to look him over and thought to myself man you look dirty down there. I was going to give him and Oliver a bath but the evening got away with me. After reading this I am waiting till husband gets home Thursday night to help me with this. I am scared to hurt them. And the videos are very helpful. Glad I came across this tonight as I am sure I would have gone about the cleaning all wrong!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 am

The trick is to find what works for you and your pig, so you stay calm. I do it solo now. Sometimes I use the sitting method, sometimes I make a pig burrito. I don't think there's a "right way" really.

jlthomas79

Post   » Tue May 25, 2010 10:26 pm

I just worry with this ever expanding belly that he won't be able to get comfy. Then again resting him up on my belly might just help ha ha. I will try it solo tomorrow night and if I feel like I am torturing them then I will wait for husband to get here.

bafa

Post   » Tue May 25, 2010 11:01 pm

I have a male dog and I have never touched his penis. O_o He licks it all the time..

As for my boars, I regularily check for impactions (disgusting poop & nasty debree build-up). I have to say, some pigs are more prone to it than others. My older boy used to be pretty gross when it came to impactions. It seemed to get worse with age. But I never touch their penis. I also didn't know we are supposed to clean it...

TexCavy

Post   » Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks for the reminder from seeing this thread up top. I need to do "spa day" for my two boars tomorrow during cage cleaning.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Wed May 26, 2010 1:49 am

Bafa, thank heavens I don't think one really ever needs to. I never foresaw myself having to get this close to animal genitals. I know my family has had dogs that eat their own poop and roll in dead things and we care for ferals that leave half eaten rodents in the driveway, but cleaning/getting even remotely close to animal junk is just an entirely new level of gross, haha.