Handfeeding Recipes

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Sure; the Kleenmama pellets could be substituted for Oxbow (essentially, making your own Critical Care).

On the Anise...as far as I know, Star Anise and "regular" Anise are two different plants. I don't really know anything about Star Anise, and probably wouldn't use it for the pigs. Anise seeds look like this:

I found mine at the local grocery store, right where all of the spices are. It was in a little jar just like this one:

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Oh,.... okay.
We use star anise quite often in traditional Chinese cuisine, I was a bit suspicions of it because it has a rather pungent smell...

Thank you for pointing it out for me Sef. :)

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Ooh, thanks for the picture sef. That's helpful as I've never seen anise seeds (that I know of). We're going to get this stuff today and will try it out this weekend.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:48 am

By the way, I think if you also mixed in 1/4 of a 100 mg chewable crushed vitamin C tablet (maybe just before adding the water for a day's batch), that would help lots for a guinea pig too.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 pm

What is 1 plain acidophilus, 100mg capsule can this recipe be used when piggy on medication? Can the Anise seeds be left out? As this is why Jessie went off the C&C. If this is a Probiotic we use Protexin.
Are there anyother recipes? At present we are soaking Oxbow pellets in water and then mixing this with vegetables that have been through the juicer like Capsicum, rockmelon, grass, spinach, cucumber, carrot to name some.
Will follow this thread with interest.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:15 pm

I think Sef was just throwing out a recipe she liked and actually soliciting other combinations. You might come up with something on your own.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:08 am

Sef asked me to post Rainy's recipe here:

1 tbsp Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (I don't have a grinder so I soak the pellets in really hot water and they fluff up fast)

1 tbsp canned pure pumpkin

1 tbsp squash or carrot baby food

1-2 tsp of Gerber Whole Wheat Baby Cereal

Then add water until it's the consistency of cream soup....could be thicker for a pig that does not have severe teeth issues.

BTW, I use Lifetime liquid acidophilous. It is dairy-free and the pigs like the taste. If a pig is on antibiotics I give 1 cc twice a day.

ETA: I should have noted that I would prefer to use Critical Care and also less baby food, but Rain will only eat this recipe.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:16 am

Has any one tried the baby cereal Farex? Is it good for piggies? Was thinking of adding it to the pellet mush to feed Jessie?
Have tried Jessie on Pumkin and Sweetcorn babyfood and she gagged she hated it so much. Shame if pumpkin is good for them in small amounts.
Am pretty sure we do not have Gerber baby cereal here, but will have a look at what the shops have.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:43 pm

I forgot to update on sef's suggested recipe.
I made two batches of it, I followed the instructions to the T in the first batch, but no takers.
Then I made a second batch, WITHOUT the anise seeds, then Beibei loved it.

I now feed her twice a day, just like before with regular CC with a 1/4 of Oxbow C crushed into it before each feeding.
I think Beibei really likes your recipe and has gained
20-30grams in these 2 weeks.

Beibei has always had a issue with gas, so we never had any luck with pumpkins... :(
But our McMac adored canned pumpkins, so I guess it really depends on the individual guinea pigs.
This recipe easy, could be made ahead, throw it in the freezer and last us a good week.
Thanks again.

Kat

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm

daisymay - can you tell us what's in Farex?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 am

The ingredients in Farex are as follows: Contains: ground rice, maize flour, soy flour, vitamins (Vitamin C, Niacin, Thiamin), mineral (Iron). It is suppossed to be gluten free
- good source of Iron
- no added sugar or salt
- no added colours or flavours
- source of Thiamin, Niacin and Vitamin C
- milk and lactose free (when prepared with water).
It is the only baby cereal available here in the shops, they have many varieties like apple and pear, museuli, plain rice cereal, fruity museuli to name some. Here is a link about it
http://cincottachemist.com.au/product/1 ... 25g-online
Sorry if this link is inappropiate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Maize is corn. Yes, sounds gluten free (no wheat). I would go for a recipe with wheat instead.