Heat Stroke victim

Kat

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:14 am

I wouldn't use that probiotic. Maybe try a different pharmacy. What do people take in France when they're on antibiotics and it upsets their stomach?

LennyJ

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:20 am

I also have this which I use Prebio 7. BUt I think this contains too much other stuff too. I am heading off to a different pharmacy with a list of specific probiotic bacteria...so fingers crossed.

Each 500mg capsule contains Chicory Inulin Fibre (Fructo-Oligo-Saccharides), Maltodextrin, Soy Fibre, Vegetable Hypromellose (Capsule Shell), Friendly Bacteria Complex, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide (Capsule Shell), Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid).
The Friendly Bacteria Complex contains: Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Streptococcus Thermophilus, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, Bifidobacterium Longum and Lactobacillus Lactis.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 am

Am hoping Herbie starts putting on weight real soon> I don't think being 800grams is too much to worry about it is when they get closer to 500grams you start to panic.
Our jessie is a big girl and she is only 830grams. Has he had blood works done? Was wondering if it maybe thyroid? I know it affects cats and they can't put on weight.
I don't know what is available in France but you can buy Probiotics on line if you can't get them where you are.
Wishing you luck and go Herbie!

LennyJ

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:49 am

That is good to know. My other piggies are real porkers I guess!

I have given him a probiotic - I put in half a capsule of powder to about 12ml of feed and gave him 2ml. We had just fed him 5ml as his weight was back down after 2 hours from the last feed.

I have the Vitamin B12 but do not know what quantities to give. Is there somewhere to get a dosage reference?

He is currently out for 30mins in his run to see how he goes and if he munches some grass. Also to be near his girls too.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 am

This is the best I can find hope it helps https://www.guinealynx.info/nutritional_ ... nts.html#b Maybe someone can help you soon. Good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:42 am

That's all I have too, daisymay. I got it from one of the references. I have the feeling the amount you would give is somewhat flexible.

LennyJ

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks. I have given him 0.25ml with the last feed. He was down 2g on his weight this morning eventhough we have given him 30ml of food so far and he has eaten some grass and apple. I guess this is all we can do. Interestingly, Herbie's Dad had to take antibiotics for a week and during the whole time he was hand fed...before he began feeding himself, he lost weight. About 10-20g per day. Not as much as Herbie is losing but the sooner he starts really feeding himself the better.

We were not planning to take him off the Baytril until Sunday...though at this rate there won't be much left of him! Really hoping the probiotics and VitB12 can help. If his symptoms are clear I am wondering about taking him off after 5 days as it will probably be 2 more days for him to pick up on his appetite again. If he ever does.

LennyJ

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 am

Herbie's weight was down again from 968 at 11pm last night to 928 this morning.

He also sounded more loose in his breathing - I am wondering if the Baytril is not able to shift the URI he has completely.

If he is worse tomorrow then I have to take him on a 1.5 hour round trip to a vet who has other antibiotics to offer.

For now, he seems perky enough if not weak. Loves eating the bit of grass we give him. So we keep feeding him and see how he goes. Not much else we can do.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:14 am

Is there a possibility of getting him a chest x ray to see if his heart is enlarged and/or the lungs have fluid in them? He might benefit from some lasix.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:26 am

Hoping all goes well for Herbie and if he goes to the vet, hoping they find the problem.

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Recently, I (finally) found a company that will sell Critical Care to me without a prescription. (I, too, was driving a far distance to try to get the stuff, and at a much higher price!) You should look into it. I'm not sure if they ship to France, but it's worth a try!

The name of the company is Vet Med Direct and their website is www.vetmeddirect.com.

Best of luck w/Herbie. You're a great GP owner!

LennyJ

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 am

Thank you for the link. I bought extra when I was at the vets but it has a shelf life so being able to get it sent when I need it is great.

Herbie only lost 8g overnight. We are so pleased and are keeping our fingers crossed that the VitB supplements and the high VitC veg he is getting are sorting out his gut flora and absorption issues. He, himself, also seems to really want to eat grass which is the best source for vit C.

Did not hear any looseness in his breathing either.

And he is now incredibly fiesty at feeding time - it has gone from him being the easiest GP ever to the biggest battle. I have to hold him in a vice-like grip!