Heat Stroke victim

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:25 am

Am so glad Herbie did not lose so much weight. You hang in there with him. I think guinea pigs have bad hearing as singing to Jessie calms her down when we are trying to feed her.
If you heard my voice you would understand, I sing the Flintstones theme somg to her over and over, she seems to like it. Good luck!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:40 am

I have found that if you have a pig with sudden large weight gain, be concerned about other issues, like retaining fluid in the body. You want him to gain, but not overnight and you don't want him to feel "squishy", like one of those water worm toys you might have had as a kid.

We lost our herd to heat stroke when I was a kid. The one pig that survived we were told had heart problems thereafter. I don't honestly know if he always had them or was diagnosed because we took him in after the incident.

Good luck. I'm glad he seems to be getting stronger.

LennyJ

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I just wanted to do a final post to say that Herbie seems to be gaining weight and is eating a lot more on his own.

Tomorrow is the final morning of antibiotics and based on previous experience I would expect him to have his appetite, all being normal, in two days.

For those out there struggling with handfeeding and a sick GP, it is worth every effort you make. You never know. Everything positive thing you do improves the odds.

Thank you again for all the support. I feel we have done everything we can which is all you can do. The rest is up to your piggie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he seems completely on the mend.

Kat

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:16 am

I'm so glad Herbie's doing well now! Well done!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:43 am

Am so happy Herbie is doing much better. You really ought to pat yourself on the back for all you did for him! He felt your love and your care and that helped him greatly just knowing you were there for him. Way to go Herbie!