August is looking better for us

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:44 pm

It's time to party! We turned 1 this past month and our people threw a party for us.

Here's the carrot cake Sydspigsmom made for the humans.
ImageThey didn't share, but that's OK.

Check out our presents, new tents! Now we get to go camping.

We also got new wallpaper in the back of our cage. It was confusing at first. There is a lot of green but we can't figure out how to get to it and eat it! Pumpkin got tired of trying and took a nap.

Spice can't decide which one is for him.

All in all, we're pleased!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm

I love those cute little tents! The guinea pigs look happy and so do the kids!

Pikatot

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:41 pm

I agree- cute tents! And celebrating their birthdays with the kids just really shows how much you care about them and how integral a part of your family they are. Very touching :]

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 2:51 am

Happy Birthday!

The tents are very clever and unique! :)

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 3:44 am

Aww! Happy birthday babies! You are both adorable and lucky having those tent!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 8:37 am

Thank you for your kind words. :) I'm not going to mention all the assorted people (my parents included) that thought we were odd for having a birthday party for Pumpkin and Spice. I just knew GL would be much more understanding!

Two can fit, but very briefly!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Sat May 29, 2010 10:22 am

Hmmm, what is Spice looking for?

Pumpkin joins in the search.

Mystery solved ;)

Let's see what Mumble and Michaela think of fresh lettuce
Image They say green pepper first!

It's hard to see but they each have a piece of green pepper. They always grab the green pepper first and carry it to their lair to eat. They tend to eat their salad in the same order every day.

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 am

We have some big grown up boars around here! They have been loving the fresh greens from the garden. It appears I may have to upsize my cuddle cup pattern.

Spice looking a bit squished.

Pumpkin showing off the other way to use a tunnel.

Mumble continues to love hay. She has two years of having none to make up for I guess.

Michaela, hiding in a tunnel.

I have been noticing a new dynamic in the girls' cage over the past several months. There is impressive amounts of pee spray along the sides of the cage every 3-4 weeks and Michaela can do nothing right at roughly the same time frame. Mumble will see Michaela snoozing peacefully, decides that she wants whatever Michaela has, and trots over and makes Michaela move. Michaela handles it well and just relocates (generally a few times) and lets Mumble be. Rarely does Michaela stand up to Mumble. I'm thinking this is a hormonal issue with Mumble? Does this ring any warning bells for anyone?

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:35 am

I have no suggestions on the hormonal issues but Michaela sure is a cutie. I love her little feetsies. I was wondering how she has adjusted. Is she skittish because of her earlier life as a lab pig or is she just like all other guinea pigs?

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:25 am

Snickers has had that same thought about tunnel use. :)

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 am

Catie Cavy: It has been a true joy to watch Michaela settle in at our house. She loves tunnels and cuddle cups! She's been seen popcorning with Mumble every once in a while. My absolute favorite is when she flattens out, closes her eyes and dozes off. I keep meaning to take a picture when she does, but tend to just sit and watch her instead. :) I think the best thing we did was not using the pigloos or anything enclosed that would start fights. The fleece car wash/lair was probably the smartest thing we did for her; it's the perfect blend of security for her and interaction with us.

That being said, she is still not as relaxed as our others, but we're getting there!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 am

*This thread probably should be in Chronicles if some one wants to move it. It has somehow turned into a diary/journal of sorts.*

We have someone new living with Mumble & Michaela! Meet Peanut:

Peanut is a 8 month old sow who came from a family friend whose daughter was ready to give up her 4H project. I was very hesitant to try another sow after our fun with Mumble and Michaela (read earlier in this thread for that fun), but decided to give it a try.

We did a full quarantine. We found her to be a fun bundle of fur! After the quarantine we moved her cage next to M&M's cage for 24 hours. We set aside the better part of a Saturday for the introductions and sat back to see what we had gotten ourselves into. I think we had a fairly typical introduction (warning nips, pee spray, mounting, sniffing, teeth chattering, fun stuff). Mumble let it be know early that she was the Queen with a warning nip when Peanut tried mounting her and Peanut left her alone after that. Michaela was another story, Peanut tried repeatedly to mount Michaela, but Michaela was not interested in loosing her second in command status! I was so pleased to see Michaela stand up for herself! As it stands now, Peanut is third in line, but don't feel too bad for her as she definitely keeps the other two moving!

Happily eating together:

A slightly modified cage (we're still working out how to expand it more):

Disclaimer: I filled the hay rack right after taking the picture and removed the salad plate. Some days it seems all I do is fill hay racks!