Nibbler's medical thread

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:17 pm

And our luck with pigs continues! Oh yes, our new addition Nibbler has fallen ill too.

Is it us or what? Did we anger the piggy Gods?

Anyway, her name is Nibbler, a 6 month old sow (roughly, we're not a 100%, but weight indicates 5-6 months old). She's had a litter of 4, 3 months ago at the rescue we got her from. No other health problems apart from lice which she got treated for.

We only just discovered a massive lump between her right shoulder/leg and her head. It's roughly 1,5" long and feels hard, but it's mobile. We're guessing it's the same as Squee had.

So my question atm is, can she have metronidazol at such a young age?
She currently weighs a little over 600 grams.

Cheers x

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:15 pm

I had a vet prescribe metronidazol for a boar who was 3 months old at the time. Although, I ended up not using it due to misdiagnoses.

Are you planing to treat without getting a biopsy?

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Unfortunately have to go without a biopsy for now as we're going to leave for our supposed holiday tomorrow in the countryside. Looks like we're taking all 4 of our herd with us now, so it wont be much of a break :/

We have looked up exotics vet in the area we'll be staying in case of an emergency. We'll be back next week Thursday and can then look into getting it looked at closer by our regular vet.

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:19 am

the size of her lump has halved overnight. Gawd I love metronidazol!!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2017

Post   » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:35 am

Am so glad the lump has halved. I would take her with you as planned and just keep an eye on it. Hoping all goes well for ALL your piggies. There is a saying that things happen in 3's so hopefully your luck will change for the better! She looks a sweetie too. Shame about having a litter when she was so young, people(NOT you, the people who had her then) make me so mad! Wishing her and everyone all the best!

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:40 am

It seems that this year that saying doesn't work as it is coming in tenfold!

Good news however is that the lump has still been shrinking as we were on 'holiday'. my other sow who was losing weight has even stopped losing weight in that time and needs no more force feeding! The country side does everyone a lot of good :)

Anyway, we're about to phone the vet (we came back last night) to take Chewie (she has Ovarian cysts/cystitis) & Nibbler in asap.

Thanks again!

Brainerror

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:26 am

We're going in on Monday evening (the vet has evenings available now too, which is very handy!).

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Right, vet was happy with what we've done so far & the result. So another 10 days of metronidazol. If that doesn't clear it she'll remove the abscess all together.

She did an aspiration and pasty puss came out, so it should be treatable with AB :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 pm

The piggy Gods have decided that all sick pigs in your immediate area must pass through your home to be made well. IMO.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm

It seems that way, doesn't it?

Luckily Nibbler's lump is much smaller now, the size of a big pea when beforehand it was more like a dried apricot.
Go little Nibbler!

Another nice thing is that she is really clingy to me now, even the vet said that Nibbler was close to me.

Awww didn't know she cared! ;)

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:54 am

Still on her meds, but the lump is slowly going down.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but Nibbler keeps on making an odd movement with her mouth. She'll stick her nose in the air whilst "chewing" with her mouth open and poking her tongue out, like something is stuck? the vet said her teeth were perfect and I can't feel any abnormalities on her jaw/face, but when I feel around that area she does that movement.

I know squee did a similar thing when she had her abscess, is it related? does it really interfere with their mouths that much?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 am

So the vet looked her over but could not find anything? I wonder if there is something lodged in her throat. Poor girl. Glad to hear the lump continues to go down.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 am

I don't think there's anything lodged as the odd behaviour only lasts 2 minutes a day. She does however choke a lot when she eats, but then again, so did Squee when she had her abscess...

We'll be at the vets again next week and get her soft pellet checked out & of course anything else the vet thinks should be checked.

She eats normally & is chirpy, wheeks at a good volume too.
We'll see what comes up!

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Just letting you know that the lump has gone - yaaay!
But.. all the time she's been on ABs she hasn't gained any weight. Even the lady at the rescue commented on her looking terribly slim.

Could this be because of the metronidazol? When should I expect to see her weight go up again? She's been off it since a week.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Usually it is not eating enough that accounts for not putting on or losing weight. Sometimes an antibiotic will interfere with appetite. You might want to weigh her more frequently right now to see how things go.

Glad to hear the lump is gone.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:55 pm

She has more appetite then the others, that's the weird thing.

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:18 pm

the lump is gone, the lump is gone, the lump is gooone! woohoo! and she has grown in the 2 weeks we were away and has gained 30 grams ^^ go nibbler

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:31 pm

Yay!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Good for Nibbler! She's such a pretty girl. I hope she stays well for a long, long time.

Brainerror

Post   » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:52 am

Me too! Thanks guys ^^

139 posts