Seed ticks?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:06 am

By the way, you mentioned your dog was treated with Frontline. I ran across a warning against its use in exotics by a vet and by the manufacturer:

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-dieg ... tline.html

pigpal

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:42 pm

Yes, I do use Frontline for dogs due to the number of deer carrying ticks in our area. This particular breed of dog has an extremely long and thick coat, so spotting and removal of ticks by hand is virtually impossible.

I wouldn´t even consider using Frontline on the cavies. I use Advantage on the cat and cavies as I´ve been warned by my own vets that Frontline is not safe for cavies. Thanks for the warning though, better safe than sorry.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:22 pm

According to Joséphine, it´s not even 100% safe for dogs. Maybe she can explain more?

pigpal

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:44 pm

I´ve heard some reports of dogs having problems with seizures after using Frontline. When I asked my vet about it, she said she felt these anecdotes were coincidental, as the breed of dog involved (boxers?) has a high incidence of seizures anyway. I believe she said Frontline is considered safe because the active ingredient acts specifically on the parasites´ nervous system.

I´ve discussed this in the past with other Tibetan Terrier people and they generally feel the benefits in eradicating potentially disease carrying ticks outweighs the remote risk of any kind of neurological damage. If I had a short coated breed I would probably just thoroughly search and remove the ticks by hand, but there´s no way I can find them under all that hair!

If anyone knows of any other problems linked to Frontline, I would definitely be interested to hear about it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:24 pm

I thought it was safe for dogs -- just not for exotics. I guess any drug carries some risks.