Request for ARTHRITIS treatment protocols

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 pm

We took Magellan into an exotic veterinarian's for a health exam and x rays on fifth of this month. I'm posting because already I am seeing vast improvements from when we first adopted him.

1 - breed

Our best guess based on appearance is Coronet and Abyssinian mix or longer haired Abyssinian and white crested mix.

Five years and one month.

Sex

Unneutered male.

2 - brief description of signs leading you to suspect arthritis

My fiance and I would see him doing a weird jaw pop sometimes, especially while being petted. He also wasn't as active as his surrender form claimed. I figured he had to be in some sort of pain.

3 - diagnostics done and the results
We had a basic health exam and full body x rays done. The x rays confirmed he had athritis in his spine and joints in his back legs.

4 - treatment, med and dosage
We were given metacam, .5 percent concentration. He gets .3 CC every day under direction of the exotics veterinarian.

5 - results of treatment
We are already seeing improvements. He is eating more hay and significantly more pellets, and is noticeably more active during floor time.

6 - other med issues
None as of now.

GuineaPigsR4Me

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 am

American, 3 yr old female

Arthritis found in her right knee. During a exotic vet exam, she reacted when the vet examined her right leg/knee. X-ray showed some arthritis in her knee.

0.25 Meloxicam 1x/day

Misuki is doing well-

Other medical issues, fatty abdominal tumors. Most removed via surgery. Biopsy showed non-cancerous.

pigsmakemesmile

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 pm

6 year old male American tri-colored guinea pig.

Pig was observerd whimpering during pooping

Was examined and xrayed which revealed
a) large bladder stone b) arthritis in spine located towards
rear.

treatment, observe urine output to monitor for blockage

metacam once daily for pain control

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 1:06 am

Lynx, I didn't forget! I have the x-rays, but the files are huge! Can I send them to you directly?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 9:06 am

Yes, you certainly can. I think you have my email, no?

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 11:53 am

Yes ma'am. DH just got new computer system, so I'll have to have him transfer the files over for me and then I'll send. I also have Sasquatch's (a cuy/polydactil) x-rays for you. Hopefully, you'll get them this weekend.

SammiD

Post   » Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Can i ask what arthritis looks like on a xray?

As when I had one of my pigs x rayed for a bladder stones the vet said that he had arthritis in his both back knees and they looked like chipped pieces of bones, as when I first saw the xray I thought he did have stones as they looked like stones near his knees,they were only visible on the side view xray and he is now on metacam twice a day.
The vet a saw was a cavy vet.

I didnt know that he had arthritis but i did notice that he did sometimes 'bunny hop' rather than walk 'normally'. I was also told this maybe the reason why he was squeaking whilst weeing and now he has improved being on the metacam, but still has some occasions when he squeaks but not every day.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri May 28, 2010 2:52 am

There are some x-rays of Salana's boar, Jackie, on this thread. She also posted a link to a video showing how the arthritis affected his walk.

Toadies

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:58 pm

My intact, American shorthair boar, 5 yo at the time, complained at being held, was less active than usual. He was diagnosed, by x ray, with arthritis in hocks and knees. Initially started with Metacam EOD, SID if feeling worse than usual, and had slight improvement. Started on Cosequin, 1/4 capsule SID, and much more improvement in 2 weeks. Now gets Metacam only if having a really bad day and is now able to go with only a couple of doses a week. Cold weather will probably necessitate more Metacam.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:47 am

Bibi was 4 when it started, hopped sometimes, held one leg up sometimes, limped, was less active, minimal weight loss, no more popcorning and running.

No vet in Belgium treats arthritis so far, so had to resort to non toxic herbal medication, which took some research. Recalculated the human dosage on the wrapper to piggie dosages, according to Bibi's weight. Dissolved in water.

Dr. Vogel: Altrosan (Harpagophytum), especially for arthritis pain treatment.

Dr. Vogel Alchemilla + glucosamine: it supposes to repair the damage arthritis causes.

The minimal amount I can make lasts about 14 days in the fridge, then it needs replacement.

Within 2 hours of the first dosage, I saw her run at rocket speed again, couldn't believe my eyes. She popcorns again too. She hasn't shown any problem since I started the herbs. I can still raise the dosage if I have to, I started with the minimal dosage.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Pigjes, its great to hear! how often have you kept up this medication and how is Bibi doing on it? Do you still use it?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:09 am

Bibi just died, unfortunately. The xray's are in here and you clearly see the arthritis herbs worked well in her case.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 45#1839145
I kept giving her a minimal dosage for about 11 months till her death.