Pantufinha's Medical Thread

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi! I need help and opinions about my Pantufinha.

Pantufinha is a female, about 1 year and 3 months old, American breed, weighing 1140gr.

2 days ago I noticed brown spots in the fleece. I watched, neither piggy cried when urinating or had no other symptoms, they are active and eating well, as always. Last night I saw the exact moment that Pantufinha urinated, and I saw that her urine was reddish.

Immediately I separated her, fingered her belly, no signs of pain (just a little gas). I put her on a clean tray, gave lettuce and grass, and waited until she urinate. The first jet of urine appears normal, and ends with a small amount of reddish urine. I aspired the urine into a syringe, kept in the refrigerator, and earlier today, on my own, I brought to the laboratory for analysis.

The urine test is ready (and I'm worried):
pH: 9.0
Density: 1005
Deposit: Moderate
-----------------------
ABNORMAL ITEMS
Proteins: Positive (+)
Glucose: Positive (+)
Is this abnormal for a guinea pig?
Blood: Positive (+++)
-----------------------
SEDIMENT MICROSCOPY EXAMINATION
9000 leucocytes / ml
398 000 erythrocytes / ml
Cylinders Negative
Absent Epithelial Cells.
Absent mucus filaments.
Triple phosphate crystals (+)
Nitrite Negative

The urine culture will be ready on August 4.

She has been with the butt and belly wet these days.

So, I'm worried and wondering what to do:
- Take her to the vet (whom I do not trust a lot, especially after the sad episode with my Floquinho);
- Is X-ray essential and indispensable in this case? I sincerely would take her to this vet because of x-ray only;
- Start Bactrim for my own, until I get another vet and see if it improves the meantime.

All information, advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm not good at reading these but if you've read lots here, you know it is most likely a UTI or stones. If you need to, reread www.guinealynx.info/.html and www.guinealynx.info/.html

I would start the Bactrim.

www.guinealynx.info/.html might answer some of your other questions.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks Lynx.

I bought Bactrim, and finally managed to find cranberry juice here (is not common, is imported and expensive, but worth it). It is sugar free and "ready to drink." I need to further dilute? How much can I offer in the syringe, or is it better that I put in a water bottle?

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:40 pm

I would put it in the syringe and give it that way, because some cavies don't like changes in taste of their water, even if they liked it previously they could stop drinking. I also would suspect a urinary tract infection. If money is no object at all, I would go ahead and get the x rays done now, but if it is you could wait until after the results from the urine culture comes back. I'd suggest x rays at some point either way though to be sure there aren't any stones.

I'm sorry Pantufinha's having problems, and she's lucky to have you. Good luck with everything.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:42 pm

Hello There, was wondering whether an ultra sound would be better as they are 3 dimensional and they are more accurate than X-rays. But either way I would definately get some done even if it is only for peace of mind. Here is a link to a guinea pig vet in Brazil with webpage and email address, am hoping this helps and that Pantufinha gets better real soon. Have everything crossed for you both. https://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/inde ... ans_Brazil

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks, Cinnabuns mom, I'm giving the cranberry juice by a syringe, I've diluted a little more and she's accepting well.

daisymay, thanks! I'll take her to take a X-ray or ultra sound soon, I just want to try to find another vet... or I'll take her to this one I know. Unfortunately, this vet in this link is too far away from me. :(

I took this pictures right now. I lined all the cage with white towels. This is fresh pee:
And this is dry pee:

I noticed she's peeing more times, less quantity. She's active, eating, drinking and pooping normally.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

The Bactrim should help.

The cranberry juice works best to reduce the incidence of UTIs. It doesn't cure them though.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 pm

The result of urine culture: no bacteria!

No more red spots in the urine, but until yesterday the urine was in a "darker" color.

All I know is she really had blood in urine, as evidenced by the first urine test. May sludge or stones occur without symptoms of pain? She is well and active, no signs of pain when urinating. I'm confused about what may have caused the blood in the urine. I think I'll really need an x-ray.

Today was the third day with Bactrim, should I continue?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 pm

If there was blood, I think the Bactrim would help.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:11 am

Have you thought of contacting vet in the link to see if they know of piggy savvy vets closer to you?
Maybe she has ovarian cyst? Our piggy had blood in urine and it showed she had tumour on uterus. When she was on medication the blood would stop but once the meds stopped the bloods returned.
Was it blood or discolouration from food she ate? Like a carrot or capsicum? Just thinking out loud.
Wishing you luck and have everything crossed for you both. keep us posted.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 am

Thanks Lynx.

daisymay, I'm so sorry your girl had a tumour. :(
Pantufinha really had blood in urine, not discolouration from food. I'm looking for a good vet here, is not easy.
What puzzles me is that she is fine and shows no other symptoms.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Yesterday I finally found a vet to Pantufinha (shame). I took her and Panqueca for consulting.

Pantufinha is fine, active and eating normally, but I found a few more brownish spots on the fleece last days. She gained a few more grams, is weighing 1220g.

The vet examined the teeth, and she still has that piece of something stuck between her front teeth (I'll ask the vet to try to withdraw it when I go back there).

She asked for an x-ray of both girls to see how are the molars and roots.

As for the urinary problem, the vet examined her, saw the results of the tests I had done and said for now she will not prescribe medication, but she has to do an ultrasound.

Unfortunately, ultrasound and x-rays are not done in the clinic, I must go to the nearby town for that. I called to schedule the exams, and only managed to schedule the following Saturday. I'm in doubt about the exams, as the secretary said that is not very common guinea pig go there to take ultrassound, so she could not explain me correctly about the preparation for the exams.

- For the ultrasound, it is necessary to fast? As far as I know, guinea pigs should not stay long in fasting, correct? May the stool disrupt in any way to see the urinary and reproductive parts?

- For x-rays, sedation is necessary in any way? I do not want my girls sedated! *traumatized*

I am very grateful for any guidance you can give me about it.