Pantufinha's Medical Thread

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:35 pm

No cavies should not be fasted for long, if the procedure won't be more than a half hour you could fast her for an hour or so. I know when Magellan first had x rays he had a full stomach which caused problems seeing his kidneys.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm

My guinea pigs have had a few ultrasounds and neither had to be fasted, if in doubt ask your vet who I think would know more than the secretary would.
For X-rays it depends what you are X-raying, if teeth then yes they must be sedated, it is quick and painless and your piggies won't even know about it.
If you are having tummy x-rayed then no sedation is needed as usually piggy will sit still on the plate.
Wishing you luck for Saturday, easier said than done but try not to worry. Sedation will have no ill affects on your girls. Big hugs and healing vibes.

Hunybee

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Good luck and best wishes to you Regiane. My Nikka is just now recovering from this. He was in pain. I really noticed when he didn't come out and stand up for his green pepper. His xrays came out clear so he only had the infection. After a week on meds and Critical Care, he's back to standing up and wheeking for his green pepper.

I hope you caught this early and it's quickly treated.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks Cinnabuns mom, daisymay and Hunybee.

Now I'm very VERY worried about the x-ray - It is an x-ray of the skull to see the molars. Really need sedation? I am really very VERY scared, because recently I adopted a male pig who died with anesthesia (he would be neutered)! I do not want my girls to be sedated... oh God...

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Sebastian had dental x-rays done without sedation. I suppose it depends on how cooperative the pig is-? You might discuss your concerns with this office prior to going in.

Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks very much, sef!

I'm thinking of allowing the examination if not sedated. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm literally crying just thinking about my girls sedate!

The x-ray to see the molars was at my request, since my girls don't seems to have any problem with it. My concern is about my other pig Panqueca (she have "pea eyes", so I wanted to see how the molars are), fortunately she is more collaborative.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I just got back from the clinic! The Pantufinha's utrassom was made and the x-ray of the skull to see the molars - without sedation. (Phew!)

I really enjoyed the clinic. The vet who did the ultrasound was very attentive and professional, explaining everything. Pantufinha first had to shave the hair from the belly.
In ultrasound: no stones, no cysts or tumors. The organs (bladder, kidneys, uterus, etc.) are in perfect condition. But there are crystals in the urine.
It's hard to see, but:
First photo: bladder and uterus
Second photo: liver
Third photo: kidneys
Fourth photo: spleen and bladder

Then we went to the x-ray of both girls.
This is the x-ray of Pantufinha:
The report says there is a small growth of the molars, favoring malocclusion (?).

My girls are not very fond, but during the trip, they became best friends.

I'll return to the vet on Monday night. The girls are apparently great, but now with the exams, I'm worried. What do you think?

Oh, and I found a kind of little wart or scar in her belly. I feel so stupid asking this, but may it be navel or something? I'll try to take a picture.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:53 pm

I took a picture of the "wart", "scar" ou something in Pantufinha's belly. This is only visible now that the hairs were trimmed because of ultrasound. It seems no lump, just seems something in the skin (or constituted of skin). It is not hard or rough.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:20 pm

I wonder if this is where the umbilical cord would have been (like our navel).

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:07 pm

That's her belly button :)

Yuugi

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm

It's the belly button! I still remember how i went into a panic once with my Momo because of that. Then i checked Mimi and she had the same.
I laughed like crazy when i realized i was panicking over a belly button :).

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Ops! I really didn't think they could have belly buttons! HAHA
Thanks Lynx, Bytxlaura and Yuugi! :)