Sweetpea - Ovarian cysts in a desexed pig

Herbert

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, Lynx. :-)

Topaz, thank you, I didn't know that there may be compartments in the cyst either.

Sweetpea has alway bounced back straight away after the sedatives for her HCG shots, (besides being in a foul mood for a day or so!) Hopefully she will be fine.

I am very glad to hear that the adorable Diamond has made a full recovery!

Herbert

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 am

Vet clinic just rang, Sweetpea did very well and will be ready to pick up this afternoon.

I thought the vet nurse said they got 200-250 mls out of her cyst, yikes! No wonder she was uncomfortable.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:23 am

Sending more good thoughts for Sweetpea, and I hope that she bounces back quickly.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:24 am

Hoping Sweetpea continues to improve. Do you know the name of the drug they used for Hormone treatment? My vet is having trouble finding one that is good and reasonably priced and safe for guinea pigs. Sending hugs and healing vibes.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 am

My vet has seen the most success with Lupron.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:44 am

Topaz is Lupron the same as Luprine? This drug is $675.00 a bottle and the bottle is only 2.8mls. I will do some research, Many thanks.

Herbert

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, hugs and healing vibes.

dasiymay, sorry, I don't know the name of the drug yet, I didn't get to the clinic yesterday, my father dropped the Pea off in the morning then picked her up on the way home from his work, I could ring and asked them though.

Or better still, your vet could talk to mine about it! (I assume your vet has not contacted her yet?)
Do you want me to resend you her email address?
She said she would be happy to talk to your vets about it, and I am sure she could tell them what drug she uses, how much it costs and where she gets it (plus the fact that is does actually work!)

Sweetpea is a bit cross this morning, Maudie got bitten for trying help to clean her face. :( She is eating pooping and peeing well though, she is just a tad grumpy.

They did an ultrasound beforehand, and got 205 mls of fluid from the cyst. They also weighed her before and after the draining, and she lost 120gs in fluid!
That is a lot of weight for the poor little girl to carry around.

They gave her fluids and a pain relief injection, and she will get Meloxicam for another few days.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:43 am

Oh wow, that is a lot of fluid! Poor SweetPea! Keeping both her and Myrtle in my thoughts.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:46 am

Cystorelin is an alternative, available in the US at least. 1 bottle roughly $65 USD I think.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:30 am

She said she would be happy to talk to your vets about it, and I am sure she could tell them what drug she uses, how much it costs and where she gets it (plus the fact that is does actually work!)
I am sorry Herbert but my vet is very busy, I still have your vet's email and I will remind her tomorrow.
So glad Sweetpea is feeling better even if she is in a bad mood. Hugs for sweet Maudie, hoping Sweetpea gets better soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:05 am

(sitting here geographically challenged on the other side of the world) Daisymay, is there any way you can get to Herbert's vet ... or is this on the other side of the continent from you???

Herbert

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:50 am

Talishan, Unfortunately we are in different states.
From city to city it's about 10 hours (I think), but anyway, just a tad far for a vet visit!

Sweetpea is in a much better mood today, and her little middle looks noticeably deflated. :-)

They shaved both her sides, (maybe for the ultrasound?) and on her left side I can see two needle marks, but none on her right.

She loves the Meloxicam! I just put my hand in her cage, and she comes bouncing over and sucks it out of the syringe.
She's a funny girl.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. :-)