Seizures - With almost no scratching

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:54 am

Your poor guy! I wish I remembered the name of the ointment or cream that is sometimes given to lubricate the eye but I think works for 8 hours at a time. Remembering to lubricate the eye that often is difficult though certainly the right thing to do.

rachmcg13

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:31 am

Hello,

Fred and I just got back from the vet. His eye still doesn’t look very good. He can still see light through it, but can not blink. The vet gave me an antibiotic ointment to put on his eyes a couple of times a day. I asked about ear mites and she said no, because the medicine she gave me to treat him for skin mites also kills ear mites. The vet did get to watch him have a minor seizure (he had one while she was trying to weigh him). He hasn’t lost any weight and is still eating tons! The vet said to try the new ointment in addition to everything else I have been doing for him and to come back Wednesday for another check up.

All I can say right now is thank god that I don’t have classes until Thursday. (I am a graduate student who is lucky enough to only have classes twice a week, and with the holiday today and tomorrow, I only have one class this week.) Unfortunately, I have a huge homework assignment due Thursday. I just hope my advisor understands why I haven’t been able to work on my research very much.

Back to go check on Fred.

Thanks,

Rachel

pinta

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:15 pm

Any chance there's a tumour behind the eye?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:57 pm

Yes, you might want to get an x-ray to rule out a growth. That would explain the seizures, eye issues, and lack of balance.

rachmcg13

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:27 pm

When Fred was at the vet in August they did an x-ray and didn’t see any tumors or anything unusual. Though, the vet did mention that there could be a tumor or some sort of really bad infection behind his eye. Since I posted last yesterday, Fred has had several bad rolling seizures. He is still on towels and I am giving him eye drops as often as possible. His eye still looks really bad. As soon as I get my digital camera this afternoon, I am going to post some pictures. It will either be here (if I can figure it out) or on my actual website.

Fred is still eating lots of food. He does tend to sit in the corner pouting when he doesn’t have any fresh veggies to eat or doesn’t like what I have given him. He also spends a lot of time playing with his water bottle. I know that he is bored, but I can’t put him back in his cubes cage and he can’t have any hideaway homes or pigloos (due to the chance that he might hurt himself more by rolling into something besides a soft towel lined cage with towel bumpers). Fred doesn’t mind being held and petted for short times (these times keep getting shorter everyday).

I just wish that Fred would be able to blink. He still can’t shut his left eye. He has another vet visit tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. I hope that he will be better by then.

Thanks,

Fred’s Slave

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:54 pm

Yes, this is more than just the eye. I think you mentioned he is on bactrim? You're continuing the oral antibiotics? KM's suggestion to get an xray is a good idea.

rachmcg13

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:44 pm

Okay, this is my first attempt at posting images on here. The first picture is of Fred's left eye. You can see an ugly white spot that actually protrudes from the eye. The rest of the eye is miscolored gray. The reason Fred's face is shiny is one of his antibiotics is a greasy gel that gets all over his fur.

This next picture is of Fred's right eye which is healthy. It is all black.

rachmcg13

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:45 pm

I will ask the vet about doing another x-ray tomorrow when I see her.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rachel

pinta

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:52 pm

There is a long thread on another pig with an eye problem that ended up in removal - probably 6 to 8 months ago. Try searching for it.

I think a tumour was involved.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:33 pm

What a beautiful guy you have there. Good luck with him. Sorry I have nothing else to offer except good wishes.

rachmcg13

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:01 pm

Fred went to the vet again this morning. She says his eye is looking better. (Actually, it does look better this morning than it did yesterday.) Fred can partially close that eye and isn't as photosensitive as he was on Monday. I asked her about doing another x-ray and she said that she wants to try a few more days on the antibiotic. She is also going to discuss Fred with some of her colleagues. Fred has another vet appointment next Monday. Until then, I am to keep him in a padded cage, give him antibiotic eye drops every other hour, moistening eye drops on the hours in between with an antibiotic ointment, an oral antibiotic twice a day and an anti-inflammatory once a day.

Thanks for all the advice!
Rachel

rachmcg13

Post   » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:47 pm

Yesterday morning was another vet visit for Fred. The vet stained his eye and says it is looking better. He doesn't need eye drops as often. The seizures, for the most part have stopped. He still lays his head down against his right side for about 20-30 seconds every so often or occasionally walks in really small circles (always walks in the clockwise direction).

The vet did notice some odd things about Fred. When he chews, he chews more to his right side and every time his jaw moves, his left eye pops in and out and the eye lid moves up and down. Has anyone ever had a pig whose eye balls moved when they ate?

She wants to do an x-ray and look at his ears, but is afraid to do them right now because the mask might injure his eye more. (He still can’t completely close his eye.) Fred is very sensitive about having his ears touched.

She gave me a different oral antibiotic to treat him with. I think it is called Baytril. (It smells like coconut and is white.) He doesn’t care much for it. I gave him a dose Monday morning and night and this morning. Over the past 24 hours, I have noticed that Fred’s eating has decreased. Fred, I think is the king of making poops! Since I have him on towels, I’ve taken to counting the poops before I throw them away. He usually averages between 180 and 200 poops a day! Well, since this morning, after 7 hours, I counted out 22 poops! I also noticed that he has been leaving veggies uneaten (very odd for him). He left some parsley and a slice of pear. I know that he loves pears. Last night, he didn’t finish all of his cilantro and left most of his orange wedge. I know that gps don’t need to be feed oranges, but he occasionally gets a piece as a treat. He usually eats it down really quick.

I called the vet and she said to not give him the antibiotic tonight and see if his appetite picks up. I am to call in the morning and we will either change his antibiotic or lower the dose. I am to call her at home or on her cell phone immediately if Fred stops eating. So far, its just slowed down. I hope when I get home from work, he will have eaten the romaine lettuce and piece of red pepper I left him. Anyone have any other suggestions for things I can do to encourage Freddie to eat more? I am already trying to offer him quite a bit of his favorite veggies and fruits.

Fred has taken to spending most of his time sitting in the corner under a towel tent. The towels are rolled up there, so they make a nice place for him to rest his head.

Hope you and all of your piggies are well! Sorry this post was so long!