Soft droppings

Yuugi

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:01 pm

It really is the gumline. She had this tiny bit of broken tooth still stuck there, so i gently removed it with my finger since it was almost coming out. After that it bled a bit more.

Her incisors always had a slight indentation on them, they were never a perfect flat line, but since she isn't losing weight i didn't thought much of it.

She is accepting water from the syringe and ate loads of CC. She is eating hay, pellets and vegetables if i cut them a bit smaller. Still haven't seen her drinking from the water bottle, though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks for the pic. I imagine people actually know what a broken tooth looks like but if anyone doesn't, this will help!

Gald to hear she is eating.

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 am

Momo is doing well. She's eating everything(hay, pellets, vegetables) and also drinking from the water bottle. I do have to cut up the vegetables in smaller bits.

No weight loss so far, phew. I think it looked more scary than it was because of all the blood.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Yuugi

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:39 am

Momo has a limp.
I'm usually very used to handling her, since i know she always does a little hop when she gets close to the floor. But lately i've been super stressed with Mimi, job situation and my upcoming surgery and on that day i forgot i was handling Momo.

So, when i was placing her on the floor for floortime while i clean her cage, she hopped from my hands a bit too soon and landed awkwardly on her left side. It wasn't a bit height at all since she was almost at the floor, it was simply she landed bad.
I observed her for a few hours and didn't notice anything, so didn't think much of it.

Throughout these weeks i've been noticing she seems to be limping, but couldn't be sure because whenever i try to make her walk a bit around the cage she just freezes.

Today i noticed she had lost 30 grams since two weeks ago, which is very odd for her. Then i observed her for awhile more, tried to make her walk around, etc. and she seems to be favoring her left hind leg, which was the side affected by that fall.

Her leg doesn't feel broken at all, and she can move it well, so i think it might be a sprain. It's even hard to notice the limp, though i know it's there because she hops a bit when she walks.

I started on metacam today and will see if that helps manage her pain and start her healing process since it's an anti-inflammatory. I also gave her a feeding of CC, which she loves and eats directly from the bowl.

I'm thinking about watching her for another week, giving her some metacam to see if it helps with the limp.
If by next Saturday she doesn't show improvement i'll ask my husband to take her to the vet then, because i'll be recovering from surgery for around 2 weeks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:27 am

I think your idea of using metacam should help. You might want to start weighing her more frequently if you think it may be an issue. Some handy tips on this page for trying to teach your pig not to jump from your hands:

www.guinealynx.info/.html

p.s. you write so wonderfully and clearly - not sure you know that all I's when you are referring to yourself are capitalized (not just the first word in a sentence). Example, first sentence would be:

"I'm usually very used to handling her, since I know she always does a little hop when she gets close to the floor. But lately I've been super stressed with Mimi, job situation and my upcoming surgery and on that day I forgot I was handling Momo."

Yuugi

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:10 am

I weigh her every week and note it down on a little notebook. But since i suspect she isn't doing so well I will start doing it everyday. I'm also suspecting it could be teeth, so I will ask the vet to check those.

Thanks for the grammar tip Lynx, I'm always trying to improve my English :)!

Yuugi

Post   » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 am

Momo is doing much better from her limp. She already runs around the cage without difficulty.

However her weight loss continues, especially if i stop the metacam. She has lost around 40 grams in the past month.

I notice that whenever she starts eating something, she often tilts her head like she's trying to shove the food into one side of her jaw, and then when she manages she continues chewing happily.

I took a photo and you can notice that her jaw is slightly misaligned. It's hard to see because her jaw needs to be completely relaxed in order to notice this. It's also still a very slight misalignment. I suppose she is favoring one side of her jaw, especially since she tilts her head when she starts eating as trying to shove the food to one side.

We will be taking her to the only vet in town that files down overgrown teeth, so I'm a bit of a nerve wreck.
She's still eating her vegetables and pellets normally, though she isn't eating as much hay as she used to.

Hopefully they will do a good job and she will return to normal as soon as possible. I will ask for some metacam and will be ready to handfeed around the clock.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Good luck with the teeth, Yuugi. You might want to reread the malocclusion info.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:16 am

I dropped Momo at the vet today.
She regained some weight because i have been giving her some CC everyday, which she loves and eats on her own. She was still eating all her veggies, though not eating has much hay and leaving little pieces of pellets in her bowl.

The vet examined her and saw that her cheeks were fine, but her lower molars had some sharp edges.
They will sedate her and file those molars, as well as check her mouth thoroughly while she is sedated. I have also requested a skull x-ray to check for elongated roots.

I also asked for metacam to be prescribed for a few days after the procedure.

I'm a nerve wreck because Momo has never been sedated before so i don't know how quickly she will bounce back from it, and I'm scared if these vets don't do a good job.

Either way if they file the teeth too short i am ready to handfeed around the clock until they grow back to normal. Wish my beloved Momo luck.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 am

Find out what kind of anesthetic they are using. Inhalant anesthetics are apparently the safest. Some vets here use monitoring equipment during surgeries.

Hoping for the best!

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:20 pm

They've used a very mild sedative and Momo is already home. She's still a little bit groggy and puffed up so i can see she is uncomfortable.

She ate a spoon of her beloved CC as soon as we got home, but then turned her face away, so i had to force feed her a few more cc's of Critical Care. Momo is a bit of a nightmare to handfeed if she doesn't want to eat, but nothing that a good towel wrap didn't solve. I hope that as the sedative wears off she will start eating CC on her own.

I still have regular CC left that i keep in the freezer, but i bought a new bag just in case. This one is called Critical Care fine grind, and comes in a brown package? Ever heard of this one?

She also ate a bit of vegetables that i chopped in fine pieces and i just caught her eating some hay, though she's eating it string by string. But considering she just had her teeth filed i think these are all good signs.
I will continue handfeeding every two hours, even if she fights me, until she starts eating well on her own. Will weigh daily twice a day.

We also got some Metacam for the next 3 days(somehow they insist on just giving me a syringe full of it and telling me to give her 3 drops a day). I still have some metacam left from Mimi's mammary tumor removal, so i'll use that one instead since it has the dosing syringe for a 1kg pig.

The vet said that her back lower molars were the worst, and had overgrown towards her tongue.
I noticed they filed her incisors as well, though i don't think that was necessary. They are still long enough that they meet evenly.

Let's see how this all progresses, but seeing her nibble here and there while she is still groggy gives me hope!

Yuugi

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Wow, handfeeding her is incredibly frustrating for both of us. I wrap her tightly into a towel but she still fights me with everything she has, moving her head from side to side, kicking with her hind legs.
She used to eat CC from a spoon and now she wants nothing to do with it *sighs*. I'm adding a bit of baby food to see if she likes it better, but this is going to be really hard.

I hope she can eat on her own as soon as possible.