Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:45 am

Poor Henry.

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice to offer.

Is Henry on daily metacam?

somechick

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:51 am

I do give it to her when she seems worse, but I guess I should start it every day, since it doesn't seem to be getting better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:15 pm

I was wondering about a pain medication too.

I'm so sorry for Henry. I think we all hate having an animal in pain.

somechick

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:37 pm

I just know long term Metacam isn't good. And she doesn't need something like Bupronex ot make her a zombie. Should I ask my vet about any other meds?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:38 pm

I have a pig here who's been on daily metacam for 3 years.

somechick

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 am

Is it once / twice a day? Is it at a regular or lower dose?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:13 am

I give him 0.2ml once a day - he weighs 2lbs 9oz. You can give 0.2ml/kg.

somechick

Post   » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:46 am

Here we are again.

Yesterday morning Henry had really gross poo, mushy and clumped together, but I thought nothing of it, maybe it was just veggie overload, because she was acting normal otherwise. At noon I gave critterberries and everyone climbed bars and scarfed them down. After that she stopped eating completely. I noticed some pretty intense gas on her left side, gave her some simethicone and hand fed around 4 and around 9. She wouldn't eat anything, even rejected critterberries, which is my litmus test.

I get up this morning and the gas is visibly less, I didn't want to feed veggies but I wanted to see if she'd eat anything so I only gave her a few pieces of lettuce. She also ate half a CB. I thought we were all better, but she didn't follow her morning routine of veg, food, hay. I handfed and gave more simethicone at 7am.

For the past 2 hours she has been drinking, went to her hay voluntarily, and been at her bowl some, so it's better than yesterday, but my paranoia tells me it's not 100% better. But her poops are small, not even poop shaped and all held together by string. And there isn't a lot of them.

My question is: is this a situation where I try to get a vet appt tonight or just monitor. I have to even hope that my vet is in this week otherwise I'm waiting until Monday or I'd have to see someone else.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:23 am

I would be afraid of bloat. If you aren't going to see a vet (or if you are), have that in mind. You want to be completely prepared for what you should do.

www.guinealynx.info/.html#bloat

somechick

Post   » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:22 pm

We're going tonight, shes visibly less gassy today and her poos now seem small but normal, I'm continuing to hand feed. She's been at her bowl but I don't think she's eating anything substantial.

somechick

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Okay I've searched the site but I don't know, I'm not coming up with anything. What are the drugs you guys have used to relax the urethra when dealing with stones? Henry has two, one was plucked out last week but she's still crying and has a wet bum. Before / if I go in for surgery I want to get her weight up, but I want to see if any of these meds might help instead first. Just a reminder Henry is female.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm so sorry that Henry has stones, and am sending good thoughts.

Is she receiving any pain medication? That might help.

Shilintong is one supplement that has been used to relax the urethra.
LINKS - Shilintong

Polycitra is also used, but not to relax the urethra.
LINKS - Polycitra® / Potassium Citrate

Lynx recently updated the Bladder Stones page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html