Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeah I saw those pages but I guess it's not what I'm looking for. I thought there was some drug to relax the muscles down there so she's able to pee free-er or something. My whole dang herd seems to have stones all of a sudden, this is nuts. I would just take her in for surgery, but her weight is low, so I don't know that I'm comfortable with that just yet. We're handfeeding and yada yada, the usual. I've done Shilintong with Henry in the past (don't read the whole thread but she's had bizzaro bladder issues from the get go) and it hasn't worked.

She's on Metacam and Bactrim.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:43 pm

I wonder if something like Diazepam might help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:07 pm

That's what I was thinking, too, Lynx. In looking at drug info for Diazepam, it looks like it is sometimes used as an appetite stimulant in cats, too. With Henry being under-weight, I wonder if it might have the added benefit of boosting her appetite. ?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 pm

Actigall seems like it might make her stones slimier and easier to squeeze out.

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 am

Well it seems like this stone might be too big to pass, Dr. D's thinking with the muscle relaxant is to help her urethra stop spasming and help her pee more normal again. She said her urethra can become irritated and spasm sometimes after passing a large stone (I guess what was plucked out last week). I dunno though, I don't think I'm realistically looking to pass this stone, just help her pee more normally.

But I don't know if that will stop her crying while peeing or wet bum issue.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14 am

Actigall seems like it might make her stones slimier and easier to squeeze out.
Results from those here who have tried it are mixed at best, including my own experience with Otis, which had a very poor outcome. Given the safety concerns surrounding its use in rabbits and guinea pigs (see contraindications here ), I really can't recommend it.

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Holy...I just read over this whole thread again, what a NIGHTMARE!

somechick

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Back. We had the other stone removed. Crying while peeing didn't stop, but she recovered. About a week ago I was checking her out and noticed this...lump of who knows what IN her butt. The vet removed it and I don't think that we got a confirmation on what exactly it was. Some sort of wart like lesion? I don't know.

But today, now we have ooze and her outter girl parts seem swollen and she seems to have an open wound outside of her parts.

Henry is already on Baytril once a day for the pasturella that showed up in her culture that we got during the stone ordeal. Her bladder is apparently wrecked, thick, adhesions, so it'll never be normal. But now there's THIS butt thing that happened out of nowhere. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I don't know what to do or where to go from here. She screams all the time, while peeing and pooping. She seems to not want to eat and just doesn't seem herself. I'm feeding her. I don't want to give up on her, I want to do everything I can, but I don't know what this is or see it getting better. Can anyone offer anything?

And how do you know when...It's Time?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 pm

We had one who presented with a polyp on a stalk protruding from her girl parts. There was blood everywhere and I thought for sure she had prolapsed something, but she seemed fine (!).

Vet was still open so I went flying over. The vet removed the thing and sent it off for histo; benign.

How did the vet remove the ... wart, growth or whatever it is? Has a pyometra been considered?

Is she on any pain meds?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:40 pm

I was thinking of possible pyometra also. It almost looks like a stone. An ultrasound might give you some idea of what is going on. Pain meds sound like an excellent idea if she is struggling with pain.

Let me know if you'd like me to add your pics to the post permanently.

somechick

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 am

Henry was spayed at the very beginning of this thread so I don't think it's anything uterine. It does look like a stone, which is what I thought it was until I realized it was in her butt. She's on pain meds. You can add the pics. I don't know exactly how the vet removed it; I wasn't able to watch.

The main concern at this point is the ooze / open wound thing on / in her girl parts. What on earth can be done to deal with this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:22 am

Is this the same vet that did the spay? Sometimes a uterine stump is left that can cause issues. But it does sound like it was a growth of some sort.

I so hope these problems resolve!

Thanks for the pics. I added them to your thread.