Raising a piggy in India

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:21 am

Jiggypiggy, thank you! I have put in a lot of effort, but my little brats are all the happier for it, and I'm hoping all that happiness will come in handy when they have to make the journey with me back to the US.

If I had been in the states, things would have been much easier, but in India, we have to get a little more crafty and imaginative. I've gotten so many tips and tricks from this forum, that I decided to compile it into a thread where someone could find what they needed! I have it easier, since I make trips home every 6 months and bring back pellet and hay supply.

Thank you for mentioning about the ladders! It didn't occur to me to warn against them! I no longer use the ladders, but I'm sure your idea will come in handy one day or another.

san_sam

Post   » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:37 am

Hey Pimpinpuji! I am new to the forum and I am from India. Do you know where I can get the cubes for the cages in India?

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Sam_sam, just scroll up a bit. It's all written there!

san_sam

Post   » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 am

I actually don't have any contacts in Mumbai or information on who will have supplies, but after doing some Google searches, I came across loads of companies carrying piggy supplies (lots more than Bangalore)!
Thank you pimpinpuji..:D Can you send me the link of the piggy supply companies in India. I can't afford the pet shop pens.. Is there any place I could get the grids from..

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 am

San_Sam, I actually don't have those contacts with me, because they were not in Bangalore, where I am based. I just saw them on the net after doing a search. Google is your friend! Don't be afraid to use it!

The only other places with actual cubes will be more expensive than the pet shop pens. What is your budget?

You'll have to get a little creative with what options you've got.

Places that sell household supplies such as piping and wiring may be a good place to start. Look at all the stuff and see how you can work with what is available.
One member on here had used chicken wire, but I don't know how well it worked out. Aim for something sturdy and safe, that your piggy (piggies?) will not chew through.

If your piggies are on the floor in a safe area, you could perhaps make them a base from the coroplast, and let them wander around or stay in the cage if they choose to do so? Just make sure that there are no loose wires or places for your piggy to get stuck.

Take a look at the "Show your cage" threads and get some ideas. There are gorgeous cages made from coroplast, wood, and even thick plastic. Good cages are not necessarily costly.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:58 am

1. Can i use aluminum grids instead of the dog pen grids? Aluminum is easy to find, easy to clean and wouldn't rust. Is the dog pen grids made of 'lokhand' and coated with PVC? I don't know what is lokhand called in English.
2. What is timothy hay called in Hindi? People here have not even heard of such a name.
3. Does anybody know any guinea pig rescues in Mumbai, India? My friend wants guinea pigs but he doesn't want to buy from a pet shop..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:29 pm

I would carefully choose whatever cage material you have available with safety in mind. Some pigs chew on bars quite a bit. Aluminum would likely be a poor choice for them. The PVC coated one, you would have to see if they were getting down to the metal. Standard ferrous metal grids are what most people use (they are coated).

Jiggypiggy
Look into my Eyes!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:17 pm

Aluminium is highly toxic - if ingested - in large enough amounts. We all get some aluminium into our systems in small amounts.

http://www.drpepi.com/aluminum-poisoning.php

There is currently a case ongoing in the UK. A lady died 15 years ago. She lived in a region where aluminium was accidentally released into the water supply. When an autopsy was carried out, it was found she had abnormal amounts of aluminium in her brain.

san_sam

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey Pimpinpuji,
Where do you get the pellets for your piggies?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:37 pm

san_sam, she's a med student, I believe, and not on this board all the time. You might want to email her through the board mailer.

sahil4731

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:52 am

Oh gosh... I haven't been checking this part or the forum. Well Pooja, someone I know, got the cage made from 'Murga Jali' (grids). It was custom made & cost us around 500 bucks. You can easily find coated metal grids at welding walas. I hope I am not too late in replying and this post will be checked.

sahil4731

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am

& as far as hay is concerned, it is easily available at petshops, in metro cities. Rest if you are willing to spend Rs. 2000/- you can get as much as 10 Kgs of hay from S'pore, shipping charges included. I cannot remember the link now, but they did ship to India.