Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:24 am

I have 2 piggies, a male Prince and a female Princy. My pet store owner told me to keep them together but then i read this site and separated them immediately. I kept them in separate cages where they can see and talk to each other.

But one afternoon Prince jumped into Princy's cage (the cages were kept close to each other and i dint know Prince could jump). I sepated them as soon as i saw them.

Princy kept on gaining weight but i thought she was becoming fat and need more excersise (floor time). And suddenly yesterday she delivered 4 babies, 1 of them died within few hours :(
And today one of the babies is lying only on the left side. His/her head also seems to be tilted towards the left. He/she also doesn't seem to walk normally like other piggies and dont seem to drink her mother's milk. He/she just sits or sleeps alone and the mother also doesn't seem to worry about her baby.

1. Is this behavior of mother normal?
2. Since the baby is not drinking the mother's milk and also not eating any veggies, can i feed the baby cow's milk?
3. Should i separate the baby from the mother because the mother seems to be running and walking all around her babies maybe in search of food or just running away from them? ( i don't have a separate kitchen. i give her food on one side of the cage. i have been planning to make a new cage for both, Prince and Princy but i am not getting the grids, fleece, etc. You don't get the piggy stuff easily in India, though i am trying really hard to get them.)

Please help. I am really getting scared for the baby specially after losing one baby already. Any help would be highly appreciated..

SweetWhisper

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:50 am

I do know definitely no cow's milk.

This may help you, until someone else can give better answers than I. https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction_faq.html

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 am

The baby could have something very wrong and might not survive but you should try. He/she needs to be kept warm and fed a mash every couple hours, through the night also. No milk. Use Critical Care if you can get it or Green Mush and be very careful not to let the baby aspirate while feeding. Feed slowly with a 1cc syringe or medicine dropper and try to keep the baby upright while feeding.

If you can't get a mash for herbivores right away, a little baby cereal could at least keep him alive. You could flavor it with a little baby food (mine prefer squash) or juice.

I would take the baby to a vet as soon as possible.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 am

Very young mothers sometimes don't know exactly what to do until all their instincts kick in.

Try separating Princy out with the struggling baby for short periods of time. Gently place the weak baby near or under Princy and see if s/he will then be able to nurse.

Don't keep the other babies away from Princy for too long, but you can separate them out for short periods of time.

Edit: Ditto Charybdis' advice above. You can try putting some cereal or green mush on a clean paintbrush; the baby may be able to lick it off. This decreases the chances of aspiration.

See if you can find any of these products:

Oxbow Critical Care

Science Recovery

Green Mush

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:42 am

1 more information i would like to add..
While walking or standing the baby falls on his left side and finds it very difficult to get up and gain his balance back. Sometimes after trying a lot to get up and failing in his attempt, he lays still on his left side and i have to help him to get up. He also sleeps most of the time.

He was the one who was the most active, walking and popcorning every time on the 1st day but today he doesn't walk at all.
Do you think that while popcorning, he must have got hurt and that is why this is happening?

He was all fine till last night but all dis happened dis morning. Could it be that he was lying on his left all night or that his mother must have slept on him?
What should i do to this baby to make him normal like other babies?
Please, please help...

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 am

He may have hurt himself but he also may have a neurological disorder. A veterinarian would be able to tell you more. But right now, he needs food.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 am

We don't get any oxbow products here in India. Moreover i don't think i will get science recovery and green mush here. Can i mash cucumber or any other veggie on the paint brush and feed him. He is not even drinking water. Prince and Princy also doesn't drink water. I have never seen them drinking water.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:13 am

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups too

What color are the babies? Are they white with pink eyes?

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:16 am

You can make a pellet slurry from the vegetables but you should not feed only vegetables. You should be able to at least find a baby cereal at a store in your area, something like this.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 am

The babies are white and black with black eyes.
Charybdis i cant see the baby cereal because i don't reside in U.S.
A vet whose number i found out on the net told me to squeeze Princy's nipple a little and remove a little milk and feed the baby in a syringe. Should i do that?
Another baby told me that mothers don't accept the babies if humans touch them. Is this true?

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:53 am

I would not try to extract milk from the mother, you will not get enough to keep the baby alive and only stress out the sow.

No, it is not true that the mother will not accept babies that humans touch. They do sometimes reject babies that are sick or deformed and they have to be hand-fed to survive.

Do you have any supermarket near you? They probably sell baby food.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:55 am

Sorry in the previous it was 'Another vet told me that mothers don't accept babies if humans touch them'. Sorry for the wrong sentence but i hope u understand that i am very worried and scared right now.
Charybdis, I have big bazaar near my house. Can i feed him any human baby cereal??