Malocclusion Experiences and Links To Gp Illnesses

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:24 pm

lildave777, you might want to read over https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 711#826711 (no chat speak) and the sticky on posting advise regarding new posters.

We do not recommend salt licks at all.

Tonya, I think your idea of using river rock won't help and is going in the wrong direction. High quality tasty hay will take care of the teeth. Other than that, monitoring weekly for weight loss or illness (which can be a direct or indirect cause of malocclusion) is recommended.

www.guinealynx.info/.html
www.guinealynx.info/.html

CavyHeart

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:52 pm

1) Name/Guinea pig breed/age
2) How old when first malocclusion treatment and how many treatments since
3) Heart problems/other illnesses experienced by pig (please specify before or after onset of malocclusion)
4) Treatment
5) Did treating the other problems (eg heart prob or others) hinder, delay or stop the malocclusion?

1) Spook, American TSW, 5 years old.
2) First treatment at 5 years old. Just took him to the vet today. Unknown what future treatments may be necessary.
3) No known heart problems. He has significant arthritis in his hips and knees due to old age, per x-ray a few months ago. Was treated for possible URI last month with 1 week of Baytril. Otherwise, no major or chronic health issues.
4) I noticed that he stopped eating his baby carrots even though he had always loved them. He would take them and run over the corner with it to keep it away from the others like always, but then put it down reluctantly and come back for something softer like lettuce. He would still eat things he didn't have to bite into, like parsley or hay. His incisors looked a little long to me and one of the lower ones a bit off kilter, so I took him to the vet today. The vet gave him light anesthetic (gas only) and trimmed the incisors and slightly planed the molars, though those were thankfully not bad at all. The bad news is, she noticed that he appears to have an abscessed lower right incisor. Pain from this probably caused him to not want to bite into things, which in turn led to the beginnings of overgrowth. Currently, he is home again with some trimethoprim sulfa twice a day for a week to try to get rid of the infection. After that, I am not sure what will happen with the tooth, nor do I know what caused the abscess in the first place. Advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
5) I do not know of any other conditions that he has that might be related to the current tooth problems, but if I discover something that is relevant to it, I will post it.

1921kathryn

Post   » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 am

Wanita, Tri colour. 3.4 years

Weighs currently 500g very small piggy normal weight is 800g growth has been stunted due to her illness when very young

I noticed something on Wanitas head when she was approx 8-10 wks old being a 1st time piggy owner I didn't know what this was until it turned into a horror fungal infection, treated aggressively for 3-4 months. Vet believes a lack of calcium? when pigs are young can lead to teeth issues later in life, possibly wasn't getting enough calcium whilst treating her for fungal, possible link to current malocclusion? who knows

First malocclusion treatment approx 2 months ago (Sep 2010)
Damaged back right molar removed, and left molars filed down couldn't eat due to tongue entrapment didn't seem to fix the problem syringed feed for the next 2months

2nd treatment 2 days ago (25th October 2010) - here is the vet report alot of vet jargon that I don't understand but I get the gist of it.................

Owner has been syringe feeding her for 8 weeks
Incisors very uneven
Scoped - molars meet across the tongue again
Upper right ginigival rostral to 1st molar red and inflamed
No palpable abscesses

Admit for burring of all teeth estimate $230-400 with or without extraction

(Note had diarrhoea from oral antibiotic previously)

Anesthetic
3mg ketamine/0.3mg butorphanol/0.49mg medetomidine IM induction
Maintained on intermittant oxygen and isofluorane 3% gas anesthesia by mask
2.5% glucose 0.45 saline 6ml s/c

Findings
1 Incisor malocclusion - chewing with lower jaw pulled to left due to poor molar occlusion on right
2 Molar malocclusion bilaterally. Worse on right with caudal lower molars much longer
3 Molar spurring lower jaw. Lingual spurs of molars 1 & 2 meeting across the tongue rostrally. Lingual spurs of molars 4 causing ulceration of tongue caudally
No inflammation or swelling of gingiva

Procedure
1/ Circular cutting and grinding burr used to reduce and even out length of incisors. Repeated at end of procedure once bit improved
2/ Long grinding burr used to shorten molars on lower right to encourage more bite
3/ Long grinding burr used to remove lingual spurs bilaterally and release tongue

Treatment plan
1/ Anti-inflammatories to be continued at home at higher dose rate for 1 week and then reduced to lower dose rate (Owner has the meloxicam at home and it is labeled - she should follow the label direction as if starting the course anew)
2/ No antibiotics necessary
3/ Syringe feeding of critical care should not be necessary for longer than 24 hours
4/ revisit in 2 weeks to view molars by scope and assess rate of regrowth of spurs. They will regrow

Currently she still is been syringe feed and has no interest in grass or hay.

Vet believes that Wanitas molars are positioned in such a way that they will continue to regrow over her tongue

I have considered euthanasia, but quickly gave up on the idea yesterday, she still has that spark in her eye and goes crazy for critical care. I realise I will do anything for her, even if I have to sell my but on the street to pay for the mounting vet bills (just kidding here) fingers crossed that they don't regrow so quickly.

Have been reading a bit about chin sling and massages these are inexpensive options will do more research, vet hasn't taken xray of teeth so maybe it's a root issue? I don't know

This has been a very helpful thread, inspires me and gives me hope, thanks for your experiences piggy slaves

x

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:14 am

An xray is certainly advised. What antibiotic used previously that caused diarrhea? I think Pinta knows the most about teeth around here. Hopefully she will have some comments.

Are you now able to maintain weight or is it still dropping? I trust you are weighing daily.

1921kathryn

Post   » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:00 pm

I weigh her twice daily, she mostly maintains 500g. Tonight she dropped down to 480g. I think that's due to the fact that I ran out of critical care, I'm just about to syringe feed as much pellet slurry as I can.

The antibiotic was BAYTRIL, the vet told me after I used it for 2 weeks on her that I should have discontinued it's use as soon as I noticed the diarrhea (I thought this was an unavoidable side affect).

Poor baby, wish I had known, hope this hasn't had any long term affect on her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:25 pm

With antibiotic use, we recommend reading www.guinealynx.info/_advice.html Usually it is loss of appetite but sometimes diarrhea.

It was your vet's responsibility to tell you what to look out for.

1921kathryn

Post   » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Lynx your right, I should have been advised from the vet about the possible side affects (diarrhea) of Baytril BEFORE it's use.

I'm doing as much research on malocclusion/meds as possible hopefully I'll learn something that may improve her condition.

1921kathryn

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:15 am

Hi just thought I should update

Wanita had her 3rd filing Thursday 11 November

Xrays showed -
Servery dislocated jaw due to possible (now healed) fracture.
No wonder the poor girl has so much trouble eating!
and bone resorption which means that part of the jaw bone is gone, SCARY, according to the vet hopefully the chin sling can provide enough muscle around this area to compensate for the missing bone.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Is there thinning of other bones? Does she have some sort of bone condition like osteopenia?

1921kathryn

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:04 pm

No Lynx the some of the actual jaw bone is gone.
Not on the jaw hinge but on the "hook?" part near where the back molar is, (sorry this is vague) according to the vet the spurs on the back molar have in time worn away the bone.

I wish they'd let me have the xray so I can post a copy on GL
(Why aren't clients allowed to take home the xrays or at least a copy I wonder?)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:25 pm

While you are there, ask to see the xray and photograph it against a bright window. You might be able to get something.

1921kathryn

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 pm

Totally agree Lynx

Next visit to the vet I wanna see that xray!

I like to see things for myself not just be told about them