Concerned about Bette.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:20 am

I have absolutely no advice or magic words but wanted you to know I'm pulling for you and Bette. I hope her issues can be sorted out.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Bettes been spasming again, I could see the pain lifting her left leg up and putting it down like she was going to come, just sitting there. Milo was looking over at her chirping I was in the room calling her, She just couldn't come to me.

Shes out now, I've been massaging her tummy she seems fine again, does anyone know these spasms?

I feel so helpless.

Shes only had hay and probiotics.
Last edited by Fred_and_co on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Bette is a pretty girl, I have had a piggy and a bunny die due to bloat but neither had spasms. Jessie has had wind and food not moving through the tummy but never spasms.
There has to be a reason she is getting these spasms and wind, has something changed recently? Diet, cage, piggy friends to name some.
Is she on any pain medication? I can only suggest keep doing what you are doing and perhaps ring your vet and voice your concerns. Sorry I could not be much help. Please keep us posted and sending hugs to you both.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:38 pm

I have took everything away to try and determin the cause I'm so upset I could see the discomfort and I'm lost at whats happening. We were at the vets today.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:30 pm

If it were me, I'd call the vet. Tell them what you're seeing now and ask about what you should do.

Is she on any pain medication (Metacam for example)?

It sounds to me almost as if she might have a neurological problem (like a pinched nerve in a human). Did the vet have any ideas on what has caused the muscle wastage?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 pm

If you hadn't had an xray, I would have suggested a stone. Human digestive systems can be painful if things are moving through poorly (lots of nerves there).

I think bringing this up with the vet is a good idea too. I hate having a pet in pain.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Did she have an x-ray? I missed that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Yes, a fairly recent xray, I think.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:55 pm

0.2ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is also very good at calming gassy stomachs, also helps prevent larger gas bubbles forming. Acidophilus capsules from a health food shop are also very good as a probiotic, upping the amount can kick start the gut to work correctly again. Just recently gone through a bout of bloat and near GI stasis with mine.

Are the spasms gut related or could they be Bette trying to get breath? Does she seem to breath heavily with her sides moving more pronounced than usual? Just wondering if her movement is possibly lack of breath or arthritis related.

Also agree with starting the dietary supplement to prevent her losing much more weight.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:16 am

I just got up too check Bette she's hunched and no longer eating. Going to phone round the vets. I'm so upset.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:19 am

Goodluck with the vet, sending hugs to you and Bette, hang in there, seeing them in pain is no fun and can be distressing. Thinking of you both!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:22 am

She feels bloated. She can still move although I haven't seen her eat. How is this all getting so out of control. Once the shops open I'm going to get her infacol, I don't want to phone the vet so early well shes still moving.

If it is bloat is force feeding a good idea?

I only have extra virgin oil can I give that(re-read thats the one I need)?

She had an X-ray 2 weeks ago on Tuesday.