Concerned about Bette.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:47 am

I have just gave her virgin olive oil and massaged her tummy lots. I Can hear all the gas in her Tum role on 9am so I can phone the vet and ask for advice.

I think I'll be ill tomorrow from work and get her to the vet ASAP.

Should I start feeding Critical Care even with bloat?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:51 am

Is she defecating at all?

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:55 am

Not that I have seen she was lastnight when I went to bed. This morning I haven't seen any shes on my lap lying down just now.

Oh my god, I just looked underneath her and was able to get a lump of very illed formed pellet our her it has mucas on it. Doesn't smell particually pleasant.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:58 am

Okay. That's good. That's the result of ileus (stalled, overly fermented fecal matter). If that's come out of her, I'd give her some Critical Care.

Take it slow and easy; let her set the pace. If she should spasm while you're feeding her, she could aspirate. Very slow and easy until both you and she get the hang of it.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 am

I've never gave CC this should be interesting.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:03 am

Now that I have removed the big pellet lots seems to be coming out her, could it be the Olive Oil lossening the poops. Bearing in mind I gave it about 30 minutes ago.

I feel a migraine coming on!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:05 am

Use a 1cc syringe with the tip cut off:

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Is she drinking anything? She needs to keep well hydrated, otherwise the stuff stalled in her GI will only dry out and be harder to pass.

If she's not, try syringing her some water (carefully, let her take it if she wants it. Forcing liquids runs a real aspiration risk; I wouldn't force the issue if it were me). If she seems less than thrilled, try some infants' electrolyte (Pedialyte in the U. S.; I believe Dioralyte in the U. K.).

Edit: Olive oil, probably yes. This is good!! Migraine be gone!!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:12 am

Woohoo! She is drinking on her own at her water bottle, Wow is that hay I see it is, Shes eating!

Poop Pictures (How rank am I) but if I had to remove it you guys can look at it!

The big one I removed and the other two followed, I think they may have been blocking her. Don't know how much justification is in that, but I really think I am dealing with a digestion problem now.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:29 am

Yes I have had those poops from Jessie many times. Looking at those poops I am hoping my tea stays down. So glad she is feeling better. Take it slowly and give gentle massages to keep things moving. I would ring vet, let them know what is happening and see if you can get an appointment for first thing in the morning. Sending hugs and healing vibes and good for you. These piggies are great teachers!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:25 am

I called the vet he suggested infacol and pineapple juice. I have to syringe feed so I started syringe feeding but she has been pooping and peeing loads its like her guts have started working again.

I think I will go see the vet tomorrow, and have her leg checked out.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:01 am

I'm glad Bette's digestive system is moving well today. I also think a vet visit is wise for her leg and a general checkup. Keep up the good work!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:34 am

Personally I'd ditch the pineapple juice. I've even stopped using Infacol and prefer how the olive oil works instead. It gently moves things along and stops the gas bubbles getting bigger. Infacol has a tendancy to clump all the bubbles together to move along in one go. I'm sure this is more uncomfortable for the pig. It's meant for babies that can burp it up if possible, piggies have to have everything move along to the end to the more comfortable you can make it for them, the better. :·)

Keep up the probiotics too, that should help settle things better, if more gassiness occurs, give another 0.1 or so of oil again rather than Infacol and vitamin C if you have it.

Try the Critical Care as a soft mushy ball in your hand and she might take it if you don't have the syringes. Some will also take it off a teaspoon.