At-home euthanasia?

Jill

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:44 am

The vet came to our home to euthanize our dog. There was an additional charge as Josephine said. Cinder was always terrified of the vet clinic, so I didn't want that to be her last experience. My boys were with me and it was really hard for the three of us, but better for Cinder.

Cara

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:40 am

When I had to have Lilly put to sleep we went to the clinic. None of the vets would have ever been able to come here during a busy morning weekday. She was really suffering at that point and I couldn't wait any longer. They gave her iso and then I watched as Dr. Fisher struggled to find a vein big enough in her leg. She ended up with both front legs shaved. At least she was asleep for it all. I wish now I'd have just said put it in her heart but I was crying and not quite with it.

christina

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:38 pm

what hard decisions. I got the name of one vet who may be able to come here. We are on the fence. Our piggie keeps going up and down, I would have said yesterday could be the day, then this morning he's wheeking and chipper. I never knew it would be this hard.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with me, it is very helpful.

InkysMom

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:12 pm

My vet gave Inky gas and then an injection, but I don't know where since I chose to let the vet do it in another room. I wanted my last memory of him to be him looking at me and not just laying there. I would not have done this but for the fact that Inky was very comfortable with the vet, did not fight him at all, and "knew" him from the intensive care he'd been personally given for a whole day. Plus, the vet is a wonderful, warm, tender-hearted man whom I like and admire very much.

This is what was right for me but other people choose to be with their pet, if possible, and that's great, too. I held my doggie and that was right that time. You'll know in your heart what is the decision for you. I hope the new vet allows you to do whatever you want.

BUT - I REALLY hope your piggie gets better and maybe this whole discussion will be for naught!

hanna

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:03 am

I have found that using gas anesthesia in many cases can excite or be uncomfortable for the animal if they are in a very aware state and it is unavailable usually for home euthanasias.

Once the cavy is sedate, they can peacefully pass away in your arms.
Our Wilma was put to sleep early morning 9.10.2003. She was ill, and started to get worse late on previous evening. She would have lived maybe a day or two, but that would have been really uncomfortable for her.

I asked the vet about the gas, but she said the same as above, that she has noticed that animals dislike the smell of gas. Since Wilma was alvays wery sensitibe with her nose (like when she got parsley, she always backed up couple of times before she got used to the smell and then startd to eat).

She was sedated, she fell aseep in my arms really peacefully. When she didn't react anymore, the vet did the "heart thing" (sry my english, what is correct wording?) and she was gone. We both (me and Mikko) were there all the time and that helps a lot in our grief. We know how she went and she didn't have to be alone or with strangers etc. Just one quick shot to hind leg and she could sleep.

pigglywiggly

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:15 pm

We had a dog put down once at home. However we lived on a ranch and the vet ONLY did house calls because he mostly saw horses and other large animals. Every other animal has been at the vets office, but my mom has always stayed with them the whole time. Because of being away at school I was only there for the one that got done at home. I think if I had to have a dog put down I would want it done at home just because mine hate going to the vet.

lisam

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:34 pm

When I recently had a pig euthanized, the vet used gas first. It sounded so comforting--the guinea pig goes to sleep first, then he gives the injection. However, in actuality it wasn't that peaceful. He put the gas on a cotton ball in a little dixie cup, then put the pig's head into it. The pig struggled. I was getting worried, and was just about to say "forget it"! When he finally went limp, and the vet gave the injection. I didn't even get to hold him, the tech "muscled" me out of the way.

It was so different when my horse was put to sleep. She was already in a coma, and went away very peacefully, with her head in my lap.

leebee

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:46 pm

When I had my rat euthanized, the vet put her into a small box first with the isoflurane. When she fell asleep, the vet put her head into a mask so she wouldn't regain consciousness while giving her the heart stick. It was very peaceful and I'd do it that way again. I was able to hold her.

Ginna Watson

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Our 4-year-old female guinea pig, Truffle, just died from anorexia. The vet did surgery to remove a bladder stone and to check her teeth for possible malloclusion, but with no luck -- despite syringe feeding and watering, she died a week after the surgery. I decided not to have her euthanized, preferring to let her die peacefully at home, and gave her loving support and a peaceful environment. Unfortunately, she began to siezure as she was dying, and I panicked and took her to the vet to be put to sleep -- she died in the car on the way.

Now I feel terribly guilty that I didn't choose to euthanize her after realizing she was going to die. I liked the idea of a peaceful, natural death, but I'm haunted by the feeling that I let her suffer instead -- even though she hadn't shown signs of suffering until the siezures.

She was a tough "fighter" pig -- she lived for several weeks without eating or drinking, unlike her cage mate who died earlier this summer after only a day of not eating or drinking.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:52 pm

I understand many or most deaths have the siezures you describe. I do not know how painful it is.

I'm so sorry you lost Truffle. I know you will miss her.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:40 pm

Ginna, I do not know this to be a fact but I do believe that the seizures are a part of the dying process in many cases. I believe that the animal is so far gone at that point that they are not really aware of what is happening and are not suffering - just a part of the body shutting down. I also think that in some cases the observed seizuring is actually the process of agonal breathing, which is part of the process. I've seen it in cats, guinea pigs and hamsters. No doubt, it can be a difficult thing to watch but I think that the part of the animal that is aware is already gone. So please don't beat yourself up over this.

I am sorry for your loss of Truffle.

Ginna Watson

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info and understanding -- it helps.

ginna