Foster/Forever Home needed in Cleveland

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:50 am

Recently I lost my senior girl, which sent me on a hunt for a friend for my lonely, depressed piggie. I posted an ad on craigslist and was able to adopt not 1, but 3 new baby piggies. No later than a day later, I got this heartbreaking email:

We have two females that we are looking to re home...
One is all white with pink eyes (peaches) the other is brown with a white head (snickers).
They are very good pigs we love them very much. We rescued them 6 months ago....
The have a big cage two dome houses big water bottle and a fairly new bag of food..
The reason we are looking to re-home them is my husband just passed away suddenly and
we may have to move and other family does not want them in there homes.

I cannot take them certainly because of the 3 new arrivals, and I thought I'd be able to foster, but I know if I take them in, they will become forever pets and I need to think of my lonely rabbit who needs a friend before I adopt two more pigs.

If anyone is willing to adopt/foster them, I can get you in contact with the owner.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:51 am

So sad. I understand your concern for these little pigs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Timing can suck. But know that you've saved the lives of the three babies.

Could you foster if you knew it would be for a short and specific period of time -- that is, if someone could be found who could take them, but not immediately?

This is a sad story, but I'm afraid the person who lost her husband will have no choice but to dump them at a shelter. Peaches sounds like a PEW and they can be difficult to find a good home for.

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:21 pm

The woman says she pretty much has no other choice but to PTS or give them up to a shelter, so it looks like they will be coming here. I also thought the same thing about Peaches, but I have a soft spot for PEWs. :)

I have no problem with keeping and caring for them until I can find a good, trustworthy forever home, no matter how long it takes, or even if they find their forever home here with me (probably depending on how old they are).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:23 am

Bless you and thank you for helping them. None of us want to see you get overloaded, but know that you are almost certainly saving their lives.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:07 am

That's so nice of you to foster these girls, GPG. Be sure to post pictures if/when you get them. That can really help place them. It's hard to resist a cute guinea pig face.

IF they did go to the APL, the good news is that as long as they are healthy, they would not be PTS. The guinea pig I adopted from the APL had very red back paws, urine stains, and mites (no visible skin damage but definite excessive biting/scratching) so they have a loose definition of "healthy." Guinea pigs there usually go quickly too. My guinea pig was surrendered on a Friday and I adopted her Saturday. I've seen other guinea pigs go that quickly too (although the PEW would probably take longer). The bad news with placing them at the APL is that they would let the girls be adopted separately and they don't do any screening. I just had to show my driver's license. No other questions asked or pet care information given. (I've been thinking of contacting them to see if they would hand out the GL flyer with their guinea pig adoptions. They'd probably like the fact that it comes in different languages.)

Are you going to post on other sites like Guinea Pig Cages? There is also gpan.net but I don't think it gets much traffic. You can also post an ad on Petfinder. You'd have to screen but at least you would attract rescue-oriented people.

Would any of the out-of-state rescues be able to take them if we could organize a piggy train?

Lots of guinea pigs needing home right now. I'm going to make a posting here as well. Right after I adopted my 2 girls (actually just have 1 now but am picking up a Craiglist girl on Thursday), a co-worker approached me last Thursday to say her sister has 4 guinea pigs she needs to rehome. Usual story: got 2 from a pet store, turned out to be male and female, had 2 babies, and now due to family situation can't keep any of them.

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 am

I have room here in Meadville, PA. but we are very busy this time of year. Is there any way to get them here to me? I would be glad to care for them.

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:44 am

I will be posting anywhere they can get a good home. :)

I will take them to the vet as soon as I get them (if I get them...) to get an idea on their age, that will decide whether they stay here or not. I really have no problem with keeping them, I was just hoping I would get my rabbit a friend before getting more pigs. Although bunbun is pretty territorial and that may never happen... And actually I recently freed a 2x4 cage by making my boys new 2x5s. Everything happens for a reason!

Ah, I remember trying to get to Meadville for the pignic. Turned into a confusing 10 hour drive, haha. I will try my hardest to place them closer to Cleveland, but will keep you in mind.

Thanks for all the help!

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:50 pm

The girls are on their way to my house! Pictures when they arrive. :)

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Awe wonderful news! Thank you for taking them in!

BamBam

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:10 pm

I know the feeling GPG - excited and anxious because it is not planned but those experiences always turn out to be the best. A post Christmas, Christmas pressie.

Waiting for photos...

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:45 pm

The PEW turned out to be a satin Himi! *shock* Her name is Pixie.

She has a small missing patch of fur on her back, but it doesn't appear to be mites. It looks more like barbering because all the hairs in the patch are different lengths, but I treated them both anyways.

Her friend is Dixie, who seems to be wearing way too much makeup. ;)

Already knows how to beg.

They came with a big bag of pine bedding, some Walmart food, salt & mineral licks, a pet store cage, two pigloos & an exercise ball. Most of it will be pitched. No hay in sight, and their nails are pretty bad... But all is well now. I've got a little bird in my ear telling me they belong here forever, but we'll see. :)