Panqueca - Medical Thread

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi! Tonight I took my girls to cuddle, and my husband noticed a small lump on the back of Panqueca. It is lateral to the spine, is under the skin, is small, it seems hard, and I can move it under the skin. There's anything on the skin, and it's doesn't seems to be sore (she complained when I opened her hair to see it, but it seems the normal reaction, not pain).

I did a red circle on the location of the lump:

I read the page about lumps, but would like more information. There's a way to know what it can be, or just making biopsy? Is it safe to just observe for a while or should I take her for tests?

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:27 am

I am going to guess it is either a cyst or a tricofoliculoma (more on the lumps page). So long as it does not seem infected (warm to touch, tender, etc.) I think you could monitor it for changes. If it gets much bigger or changes I would certainly see a vet.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks Lynx!

I noticed that I expressed badly: I meant that there is nothing in the skin, the skin is intact. The lump is under the skin.

I'll be watching and monitoring any change. I need to try to measure the size of the lump.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 pm

With Snowflake when the tricofoliculoma developed, I think she bit at it and broke the skin.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm worried about Panqueca.
Today I noticed she was sleeping, but her coat looked kind of little "puffed". It was just one moment, after this she look normal. She is active, eating, drinking, all the same.

I took her to weighing - she is now 1003gr, so she's heavier.

But her left eye is a bit of reddish:

The first and second photos in this thread is of this same eye if someone wish to compare.

I wish I could take better photos now, but it's night now and that's the best I could take. I was reading the page about eye conditions - could this be the conjunctiva? The right eye looks normal.

I'm specially worried because until now I have not a really good vet to see her. I'll try to take her to a vet in a nearby city. But I really appreciate if someone could help with some idea of what it can be and what should be make.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 pm

I do think it possible that sometimes an eye can become irritated but clear up. It seems a little more closed. Do you see any other signs of illness? If the eye appears otherwise okay, there is no abnormal tearing, you might just keep an eye on it.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Thank you Lynx.

Despite of this eye, she looks normal. This eye was not this way yesterday...

I'll be observant. If it's just an irritation, it must be better tomorrow or it could take more days?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:42 pm

You would look for tearing, any cloudiness, anything to indicate the eye was injured. If she seems in any pain (changed behavior), that might be an indicator that something is going on.

A vet might prescribe a soothing ophthalmic ointment (if you have any, it would likely do no harm and could help).

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I think I can have some Epitezan (chloramphenicol + amino acids + methionine + retinol) if she doesn't improve ultil tomorrow.

Thanks!

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:43 am

Today I took some better photos of her eye:

Her right eye is normal, to compare:

I realize I dont have the ointment I though, I just have an ophtalmic dexamethasone ointment. I can't take the kind with antibiotic because there's a new law here - antibiotics just under prescription, even the ointments. :[

What do you think about the eye? It's not that bad, but it's not normal, for sure. She's active and normal behavior. I'm really thinking in some kind of irritation - maybe the dexamethasone helps?
I'll be fine, ma?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:43 am

You sure are a cutie! I am thinking perhaps a poke with some hay? Keep an eye (no pun intended) on it. You may wish to gently life the eye lid to see if there is anything in it, it might just be some dirt or something. Try not to worry! Sending hugs and healing vibes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:53 am

Very cool pics, Regiane! I love the reflection of the camera in the eye. Would you like me to add them to this thread?

Looks less inflamed. Looks like the beginning of pea eye - not in itself a serious issue.

She is adorable.