Shi Lin Tong/Shilintong/Desmodium sp. Herb

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 am

I would go by GP Lover's guidelines on crushing and dissolving the pills. It isn't a medication like we are used to, where you aim for a certain amt of mg.

Tracy

Post   » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:59 pm

I've used the Far East version (obtained in a store, not through mail order). My piggies actually liked the taste, so I just cut a pill into thirds (when 3 pigs) or in half (when 2 pigs) and gave once a day, only when needed (if someone was whimpering or had sludge, or if I thought maybe I fed too much calcium in the veggies). Gave twice a day (= whole pill) if piggy seemed really uncomfortable. Whimpering generally stopped in a day or two, so I'm a believer that it's helps them eliminate easier.

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:12 pm

I'd like to add to this thread, if I may. I, too, am using the brown pills from FarEastGinseng. I dissolve 1 pill in 2cc's of water, as suggested. I have been giving it to my pig, Leo, since he had bladder stone surgery last week. I have no idea if it's working or not.

I also decided to give it to my pig, Boo, who has impaction issues and used to squeek when he would pee years ago. (I never did anything about it, and it never returned.) Within 2 days, I saw a total change in him! Just this morning, I was awoken to the sound of Boo crying and grunting. Here I came to find out, he was trying to pass the BIGGEST impaction I had ever seen, all on his own! I definitely think Shilintong is doing something. What? Who knows!

pigwrangler

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:01 am

I have a 6 month old boar. I noticed bladder sludge, so I started him on shilintong 2 weeks ago. 1 pill crushed in 2ccs of water and divided into 2 doses daily. I have also been giving him a bit of fresh corn silk out of the garden. I don't see sludge anymore. Can I just keep him on the shilintong? Any known side effects?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:50 am

I recommend after you give the pill, that you also syringe extra water. I think the extra water alone will help and may help make the pill work better.

I couldn't find anything useful on long term use except that you might want to involve your veterinarian in this choice rather than just deciding it would be a good idea on your own.
https://shenclinic.com/products/shi-lin-tong

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 am

I don't think anyone knows of any side effects or long term effects. I doubt it's been researched at all.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 am

What is his diet?

pigwrangler

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:07 pm

I feed him only 1/8 cup pellets daily. I use Oxbow garden select. He gets unlimited timothy hay and an oxbow urinary support tab daily. I do not give him veggies high in calcium.

pigwrangler

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm

I also have both a water bottle and bowl in his pen. He likes both.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Do you feed him romaine lettuce? Some of us have noticed a correlation between higher amounts of calcium deposits and romaine (vs. other lettuces).

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 am

"I doubt it's been researched at all."

Ditto.

Herbals & supplements are not tested at all. It's not unusual for the bottle to contain something different from what's on the label.

I've googled all over for Shilintong and have found nothing scientifically based pro or con.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:40 pm

The only thing I can say about Shilintong is that I used it a few years ago myself for a stubborn UTI that wasn't responding well to other meds. I was having pain and urgency; used Shilintong for a few days and the symptoms of UTI cleared right up. I don't think it was a coincidence, because I used it a few times after that at the first sign of urinary discomfort, and it helped when my trusty Azo Standard did not.