Show your cage IV

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:49 am

They chew on the hay.

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:31 am

The best toy for my guinea pigs is a ton of hay - they love to hide under it and eat their way out!

tiffers

Post   » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:41 am

Right, I got the hay bit, and they eat a ton of it. But, what helps keep their incisors in check?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 am

The hay does. Before I knew better, my pigs rarely got hay. They chewed everything in sight. Then I learned they were supposed to have hay, and suddenly, they stopped chewing their house and cage and their teeth were in better shape than ever. I learned how truly important hay is to their teeth!

tiffers

Post   » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:14 am

Okiedokie. I'll take your word for it! Haha! They certainly eat lots of hay, so we're in good shape then.

I remember working at a petstore and back then there was the general consensus that the hay was a 'treat' and not to give too much of it. Now, it's basically all they eat!

Feylin

Post   » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:33 am

Do you have a hay rack? Or are you just dumping handfuls of hay in? I'm asking because it looks awfuly clean for having dumped hay in a giant pile.

tiffers

Post   » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 am

I have that ball thing with a bell on the end that is always full of hay, and then that paper bag is also full of hay, and there's a few pieces of hay that comes in their pellets.

It's awfully clean because I vacuum the pig pen every night. ;) ...well, that...and I had just cleaned it prior to the pictures because of all the new ideas I got yesterday. You should see it this morning...hahaha!

pigsforlife3

Post   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:43 am

This is our new cage. Same dimensions but it has an aluminium frame so is sturdier. It is also on wheels.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:06 am

Boy, that's a nice set up. Is that your bun on the bottom?

lissie

Post   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:11 am

Wow! The new cage looks great!

pigsforlife3

Post   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 am

There are two buns in the bottom level. They are never permanently shut up. The doors were only closed for the photo. In our current house they had that plus approx 6ftx9ft of space 24/7. Now we are moving, they will get that plus their own room.

lissie

Post   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:10 am

Lucky buns getting their own room. Will the pigs get their own room too?