Bibi's Bactrim side effects

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 am

Oh, Bibi! I hope you get well. I feel like I know you after reading the books pigjes wrote about you and your 'sisters'.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:33 am

Thyme has a menthol like substance that could cause tummy upset in animals, not sure if that would be good.

you can buy it online: http://www.deweegschaal.nl/product/Zonnatura-brandnetel-citr ... ijkingssites

Zonatura is by far my fav Dutch brand. I'm sure you can get it delivered to belgium?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:13 am

That one contains lemon grass, which has a thyroid hormone reducing effect. Well, if the thyme doesn't work, I will see if we can find any pure nettle tea in a larger city here. They have "nature" stores, they surely will sell it. So far so good, she liked the thyme tea and it becomes her well.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 am

Oh yes, sorry! my tired brain saw it as pure nettle tea :/ good thing you're observant huh :/

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 pm

We tried our best. She went peacefully at 7.50 pm. We will miss her soooooo much ...

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm sorry about Bibi but what a wonderful life she had with you. Rest well sweet girl. You were very much loved.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Sorry about sweet Bibi.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

I am so sorry you lost her, Pigjes.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Oh no!! I'm so sorry :(

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Bibi. I can only imagine how much you miss her, pigjes.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:54 pm

I am so sorry about Bibi. I'm glad her passing was peaceful.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:56 pm

:(

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 am

Thanks so much everyone for your support and input.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:49 am

I just saw that Bibi passed. I'm sorry!!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks so much everyone.

In hindsight, hub and I are convinced that an old and failing heart was at the basis of not being able to get bladder grit out of her bladder. She never had bladder issues before, the diet didn't change. She was getting old, despite that she was only 5, you could see that she slept deeper lately and took longer to wake up for veggies. I had seen slightly blue gums and lips the day before we went to the vet, but the vet said her heart was fine.

I lost several piggies due to heart issues, which vets didn't recognize or failed to see. Of course, I know it's hard to do so, if the signs aren't obvious, as there are no elaborate heart tests done on piggies. They even do less tests here than in the US or UK.

So, it was a catch 22. As soon as the UTI started, she had no chance for survival, needing a bladder flush, which was even worse on her heart.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 am

I got a reply back from Bunny Nature about the hay: Ca/PH ratio is 2:1. There is 0.7%, of Ca in the hay. Sounds great to me.

I still haven't received the x-rays though.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:04 am

Here are the xrays. I saw only part of them at the vet. Now that I saw the whole pics, I realized they didn't look at the heart, sigh. Very disappointed : (

Before and after the flush looks almost the same to me as well.

Looking at this take, the resolution of what they sent me is very lame. But peering at it, you can see the arthritis was mildly indeed, so that treatment worked fine at least.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am

Would you like me to add your xrays to this thread?

The stomach looks very distended.

Check over http://www.guinealynx.info/hay_chart.html

Can you find out what varieties of hay there are? It sounds like a fairly high percentage of calcium for that ratio (going by the chart link I posted - most of the hays in that ratio range have about half the amount of calcium).

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm

They didn't show me the entire xray, only the lower back region, or I would have asked again about the heart, as I did ask. So, didn't see the stomach either. Considering they are the best vet's office known in this country, I hope you all realize they still don't offer great service, sigh.

That's all hay there is that looks decent, I'm afraid. I tried online stores from the UK, Holland, Germany, Belgium, all the ones who wanted to deliver hay to here. UK hay even arrived moldy. Most hay even contains Lucerne. It's all brown, dry and useless. This is the only hay that is sorta decent up to now.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:04 am

Oh, forgot to say that it would be great to add the xrays to this thread.

61 posts