He's very very cute!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Oh goodness gratious, he is beautiful!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Aw, I am so glad you found a best friend! I think it's neat it was a guinea pig!

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

What a beautiful guy he was!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:13 am

He's a beautiful color.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:51 am

So cute!

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Aw what a lush little piggy! :P

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks for all of your comments. He was definitely a beautiful little guy. He's still to this day my Mother's favourite!

Many apologies that alot of the beginning of my story will be text filled, I didn't get to take many photo's before I got my digital camera and my pigs moved indoors

Although the time we had together was filled with lots of fun, we were to learn our first guinea pig lesson the very same day Gordy came to live with us.

Hopefully I can update later tonight!

serelixyue

Post   » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:02 am

I do enjoy reading your stories Jaycey, text filled or Gorgeous-Gordy pictures filled :)

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 am

Awww, he was so cute!!!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Lesson 1: Always make sure everything is pig proofed

We learnt our first important lesson in guinea pig care on the first day we had Gordy. We were extremely lucky that the outcome was good; it could have easier been a very different ending!

The day that we got Gordy, and my sisters rabbit, Buster, it was bright sunshine and lovely and warm. So, we decided that whilst we’re attaching the new hutch to the fence (Arrgh, luckily it wasn’t there long) we would leave Gordy and Buster in their box, in a shady corner of the garden.

It didn’t take long to attach the hutch to the fence, and fill it with bedding and food supplies so the two guys weren’t in the box for long.

I had the honours of putting Gordy in the cage, so I opened the box to get him out.

“No, Gordy, oh my god, where has the guinea pig gone?” I looked frantically around the garden, just in time to see a small blonde bottom disappearing through the fence into my next door neighbour’s garden.

“Dad, quick!!” Dad raced through the house, into next door, and they all came dashing out into their garden. They couldn’t see him. By this time I was completely hysterical. They continued looking. After what seemed like hours they found him. He had dashed under their shed looking for somewhere to hide. Phew!

As I was the smallest person I was given the task of getting him out. My dad dug a hole at the front of the shed, so I could squeeze under and retrieve him. Luckily the little guy wasn’t hurt. I brought him back home, checked him over, cleaned him off, and put him in his new home with Buster. What a welcome for the little guy eh!

Our next job was to secure the garden. My dad went straight out to the local DIY store, and bought rolls of wire to put along the bottom of the fence. The garden was then escape proof.

I really wish that I could replay that day again, the poor little guy. We did learn a really important lesson, in that you should always check that the area is pig proof. We assumed Gordy would be safe in the box, but he got out. Who knows how, but he did. That’s the magic of guinea pigs, they can get out of many places you think they won’t.

No matter how safe you think the area is, it’s always worth checking one more time to see if there’s a way of the guinea escaping, or getting trapped, or getting at those electrical wires.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:17 pm

That would have been so scary! Very glad you recovered him!