Allergies

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:56 am

"Seems that there was a tiny bit of plastic lodged in the far back of his mouth that was difficult to see and did not show on x-rays"

How wonderful that your vet was able to help Moody!

If you don't mind, how did your vet find (and remove) the plastic? Was it a dental-type exam?

Topaz

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:41 am

Wow. How odd!

Glad to hear he's feeling better.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:50 am

Seems that there was a tiny bit of plastic lodged in the far back of his mouth that was difficult to see and did not show on x-rays, which caused his wheezing, failure to eat properly, and repeated infections.
I'm really interested to hear how the vet found that also!

What an unusual thing to happen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Wow, I am so glad you found out the problem!! This is indeed something that the average vet would not think of looking closely for.

I should try to slip this in somewhere. Might encourage a vet to examine the throat closely if wheezing was heard (we need to figure out where this should go).

moodysmom

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:34 pm

Sorry it has taken so long to get back, and THANK YOU for your kind words.

The vet did a frontal sinus x-ray and while he was prepping Moody, he noticed the plastic lodged in his mouth. We had previously had molar x-rays and had had a dental exam, but the vet did not locate the plastic at that time. Previous x-rays of his chest had been clear, but his symptoms were very peculiar as you can tell by this thread. His heart x-rays had shown a possible enlarged heart, but not definitively and we did not have a well-pig base-line. While lasix and anti-biotics seemed to help, it could be that the obstruction wasn't always in the worst position all the time. Certainly, Moody had times when he appeared ready to die on us and had to be hand fed for several weeks, several times.

Moody's wheeze was variously described as a nasal or throat wheeze (not a lung wheeze). Perhaps if your pig has these symptoms, the vet should examine closely for a foriegn object - especially if teeth, lungs and heart appear healthy.

Let's hope that this is last post about Moody for many long and happy years to come. Our other two pigs, Chiqui and Valentine are also happy that their buddy is well.

Thanks so much for all the help and moral support too.

moodysmom

Post   » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi! It has been a while. I thought I would start with a question. Moody seems like he has very little vocalization. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a guinea pig with damaged vocal chords. If you read back, moody had something in his throat for an extended period of time with several resulting infections.

Otherwise, moody and valentine are both doing well. Valentine has done well with cranberry juice added to his diet to dissolve or to help prevent the small bladder stones that were irritating him earlier. I think the extra vitamin C hasn't hurt either.

Both are bit too fat after having gotten a little thin. I guess I need to watch the treats.

I miss my Chiqui though.

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Okay, so Moody is now 5 1/2 and our only remaining pig. He has developed a LARGE stone and is on baytril and cranberry juice. He has his regular food, Oxbow timothy hay pellets, Oxbow orchard grass and he is getting supplemented with critical care (1 tblsp with 4 tbsp cranberry juice and vitamin C). The vet has seen calcium stones "disappear" with a high cranberry juice diet, but oxalate stones he says do not respond. Moody has follow up xrays next week and he is maintaining, but I have reason to believe he still has significant stones (trouble urinating). I have posted in the stone thread with stone specific issues.

My question is this: Moody seems to have high acid urine and feces which are occassionally soft which is irritating the skin on the bottom of his back feet. I am having to bathe him frequently (every couple of days with an oatmeal bath). I was wondering if it is safe to use vaseline to protect his feet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Guinea pig urine is quite basic. I don't understand it being acid. I have never heard of cranberry juice dissolving stones. Have you read www.guinealynx.info/.html closely? It sounds like he may be in pain.

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Moody has two consulting vets, both of whom have significant experience with guinea pigs. It appears that there is possibly a genetic factor at play here as pigs in our area seem to have a higher incident of stones - especially oxalate stones. I have not had good luck with surgery on my guinea pigs and am reluctant to subject Moody to surgery. I will show your page to the vet on Friday.

Moody's x-rays showed a very large stone. My vet said there is only a small chance that the dietary changes will reduce the stone, but he has seen in it in a handful of cases over the years. I was willing to try this for four weeks, provided that Moody didn't get worse. I don't know why he is getting these nasty sores on his foot, except it seems to be related to his urine/feces - this is new. I will bring it up with his vet.

Moody is in some pain - more some days than other days. When I asked about pain relief the vet indicated that they might compromise his already taxed kidneys.