Show your cage IV

GPigsRSweet

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Sorry Debs4Pigs, I just noticed your question. It wasn't that hard to find the blue coro; I was so happy! A couple of the places I called only offered white or black, but I lucked out at one very helpful store getting a 4' x 8' sheet for $15!

GuineaMommaOf3

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:06 pm

My husband-to-be and I just made this cage for out three, Archie, Pancake, and Gemma [aka "APG".] I initially wanted it on the floor, but my fiance, Joe, said he wanted a "structure" underneath the cage, so this is what we came up with.
This was right after we got it together and put all the bedding it in. We were so excited to get "APG" in it!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Looks great, GuineaMommaOf3!

onetwo

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:53 pm

OMGosh guys! I totally should NOT have opened this thread. I have the cage fever now. I moved to a tiny 700 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment with my 2 sons, 2 guinea pigs and 1 cat. (O and one aquatic frog that has been more expensive than the cats and guinea pigs combined... Grrr) My 2 boys are in a 2x3 (I know its small) and they get to free roam the blocked of living room for 6 hours a day (in 2-3 different times throughout the day). I have been debating and wanting to take the cage off the stand and putting it on the floor and expanding it. Now, tonight I think I might do that. Just not sure where the cat tree will go... I have been trying to get new coroplast for a while but there is none in the area. So I think I am going to break out the old tarp I have and put that down. It will also help with the piggies eating (yes eating not just nibbling/chewing) the coro. I used to have 5 inch sides between trimming the sharp pieces off and them eatting it they now have 2 inch sides.... Uggg

You guys are NOT so good for my cage fever! HAha Ok so plan a to relax tonight has turned into plan B massive reorganization and cage change... Haha thanks guys!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:15 pm

GuineaMommaOf3, that's a fine-looking cage. I just know how trio is going to enjoy it.

Guinea Love

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Onetwo, I also get cage fever looking at this thread. I can not even count now how many times I have redone mine. My family and friends think I have lost my mind because every time they come over the cages are different.

3andahalfpigs

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Here is my current cage, in a few months I'll be moving and the pigs will have their own room. I'm not sure how I'll be setting it up yet but they will certainly have more space.
p.s. all of the piggies are in the kitchen having floor time!

SmooshyScruffles

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:42 pm

3and a half pigs, your cage is what I want my cage to look like! it't beautiful. Momma of 3 your other half is so handy - that cage looks great.

I finally have picures of mine, Scruff wasnt settling at all so I put his old hutch in with him and he ran straight into it and started purring and he's been moving about more the past 10 minutes since I pu it in. I will take it out once he is settled but I guess he's just lonely.
Also I know I dont have much for them but we're struggling financially and our main concern was giving them more space. Next month I'm buying materials to strat making cuddle cups.

Image - they seem to spend more time chilling in the kitchen and running like crazy in the main cage

Image their make-shift litter box is filled with megazorb - I'm trying to encourage them to stop peeing in the food bowl!!

Image Scruff in his hutch (again megazorvb in it)

Image Close up of their food mat - I couldn't resist

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:45 pm

3andahalfpigs, I just love your cage! So open and what beautiful spreads!

lisam

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:30 pm

SmooshyScruffles, how many pigs do you have? That's a lot of fruit in that dish.

You'll have better luck with them using the litter box if you put it under the hay rack.

SmooshyScruffles

Post   » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:43 am

I have 7, I did put more fruit in than normal today as a treat to help them adjust to their new cage since they love it. Thanls for tip about litter box, I'll move it now :)

Meers

Post   » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 am

All of these cages have inspired me to solve a problem.

I live in hot, sticky, humid New Orleans so the hay tends to meld to my fleeces and make half my cage into a disgusting mess. It creeps, too. What starts out around the hay rack has taken up half the cage by the next day. I'm sick of it. So my hayrack has got to go. I want a bin, placed on something that's not fleece so I can brush the droppings into the trash instead of seeing my poor girls in a lake of mud. (Yuck, right?)

I know my girls, and I know they will park their fat little bums in the hay bin when they can no longer eat from the comfort of their houses. For that reason, I want a bin with a low lip. I'm considering two things from the Container Store:

A medium or large stacking bin as a corner bin
OR
A mini stacking basket, perhaps with coroplast on the bottom to keep little feet from getting stuck.

Do either of these look like a terrible idea or an awesome idea?