I know that most fruits are ok, but what about lemons?

Chilis Mom

Post   » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi! I'm new here and also to being a guinea pig parent. Our only piggie (so far) is a male, Chili, who is about 6 months old and has been with us since Christmas.

I have done research on what they like to eat and also what they should eat. While oranges are on the "okay to feed them" list, I cannot find anything about lemons (or limes).

Can anyone help me out and provide some insight? Is it okay to feed him these, if he will eat them? He seems really like the smell of the lemons (this is why we are curious) We are thinking that since they are citrus fruits that it should be okay, but we would like to get some advice before we actually try.

Will appreciate any input.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm

They might be too acidic for them. I don't know if they would even eat one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't think they would be all that fond of most lemons or limes. Fruit in general is high in sugar and should be considered a treat. Check out how much sugar there is in fruits and vegs:

www.guinealynx.info/_sugar.html

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 pm

The boys didn't seem to like lemons or limes, don't think I ever gave them to the girls. They do, however, like tangerines and tangelos.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:19 am

I doubt they'd like it since it's bitter.

Veggies acidic like that can cause chetlis too.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 am

mine refuse it, plus I'd be worried it's too acidic. They adore satsumas though :)

Feylin

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 am

I've let mine lick at lemons since they yelled at me until I held them to the bars.

Lemons make Fred popcorn! I don't know if it's a startle at the sour taste, or if he really loves them.

Either way, I don't actually let them eat the lemons, just lick at them.

seraphanjil

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:16 am

I had a few who didn't mind limes but it wasn't something I would give them on the regular

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 am

Two of mine like to nibble at lemons. The other two think it is worse than "the hand."

Deb K

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Feylin,

Laughed hysterically at the thought of popcorning over lemons because they are too sour!

Made my day!

goosey1019

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I had actually been wondering about this too because Neal REALLY wanted to try limes the other day, but I wasn't about to let him given that I know nothing about them. Next time maybe I'll give him a nibble to convince him he probably doesn't want them. :)

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm

I was wondering about pink grapefruits because we got some really good ones the other day. Perfect balance of sour and sweet. I will let them try a small piece next time.

My boys do not get fruit often at all. Mostly greens for them, but boy do they love oranges!