I know that most fruits are ok, but what about lemons?

Meers

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:01 pm

My pigs scream and scream for grapefruit. They love it! They can smell it from several rooms away, actually.

We only feed a few bites per pig...not even a whole section of the grapefruit. But it's a nice few bites, and they seem to like it as a treat.

goosey1019

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Neal LOVES grapefruit. He gets a half of section on occasion.

Last night Neal was wheaking for limes, so I let him lick some of the juice off my fingers. He had a totally visceral reaction where he pulled his face back and made a sour face. It was so funny. He had a look like, that is not what I smelled, what did you just let me taste!?!

Tracy

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm laughing to read people's experiences because it would never occur to me to try these with piggies. Now I almost want to see how mine react!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Goosey, that was exactly how Charlie reacted to an orange. To an ORANGE. Fortunately, Snickers was on hand, and he said "More for me!"

angiemthomas

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 pm

AldenM1 - I have one piggy who reacts that way to oranges too!

If i cut up some oranges and put them in a bowl, he will go over and sniff them.
And then shake his head back and forth, while backing up, and giving it the 'stink eye' look.
As if he just smelled a sewer. Its hilarious!

Chilis Mom

Post   » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for all of the responses!

ps - I tried the lemon and he wasn't to keen on it. Took one little nibble/lick and that was enough. I also tried a bit of ugli fruit this morning at breakfast and he loved it! (It's a blend of grapefruit, orange, and tangerine.)

Kat

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Most of my pigs LOVE pink grapefruit and orange, but turn their noses up at lemons and limes. The first time I think they thought the (small!) piece of lemon was orange or pink grapefruit, and they started hoeing in, before realising that it was icky. Then they made those faces like they have something in their mouth that shouldn't be in there!