Panqueca - Medical Thread

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:14 pm

I need help - again.

Look at her right eye:

I saw that yesterday and thought it was the "clean" liquid. But it's there today, just in the right eye.

For now, I examinated her eye, could see nothing strange in it. I cleaned her eye with saline solution. I have the ophtalmic ointment here I used the other time she had the eye problem, it is gentamicin and hydrocortisone. Can I use it?

No other symptoms, she's active, normal breathing, same weight. Should I observe it or is it an emergency?

rshevin

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:25 pm

I don't usually check the medical pages, but I saw your name and figured I'd check on your cuties. I would NOT recommend starting the ointment. The steroid (hydrocortisone) it contains can potentially slow healing if she has a scratch on her cornea. Flushing her eye with saline is a good start. You can also use a piece of cotton saturated with warm water as a compress. Hold it in place for a minute or two, or as long as she'll allow. You can flush and use the compress a few times a day. Be careful to wash your hands after so you don't potentially spread any infection to the other eye. To me that looks like a bit of irritation that will clear up quickly on its own, but if it doesn't a vet visit would be in order.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Thank you very much rshevin!

I'll try to make the compress. She's very calm and let me take care of her, I think she'll allow it.

I'll observe it carefully and take her to the vet if it doesn't clear until tomorrow morning.

Maybe her "pea eyes" let her prone to have these problems with irritated eyes?

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 pm

I would flush/clean the eye with saline solution (boiled water with a pinch of seasalt) and see if that clears it.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:35 am

How is the little Pancake doing?

Brainerror, you can get plain sterile saline for contact lenses in a convenient squirt bottle for a few bucks. It's a lot easier than boiling. I keep some on hand. It's very useful for all kinds of things.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Her eye looks better since yesterday night.

I'm using sterile saline solution to clean (I always have some ampoules here, my husband uses it sometimes to nebulization). Then I'm making compress with cold chamomile tea, her vet prescribed it to clean her eye when she had uveitis + conjunctivitis.

Hope it clears completely soon. :)
Thank you!

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Her eye is not good yet. I'm taking her to the vet.
I'll take Pantufinha too to check up.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:41 pm

I took her to the vet: it's conjunctivitis, unilateral.

Vet said it's in the beggining, I'll treat her cleaning the eye with cold chamomile tea and apply the ointment (gentamicin and hydrocortisone) once a day until next saturday, when I have to take her there again.

Despite of the eye, she's fine. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:27 pm

You are becoming an eye expert, no?

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:19 am

Panqueca is forcing me. ;)

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:43 am

Hope it heals soon!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Poor Panqueca. I'm glad you saw the vet and found out the ointment was safe. My guinea pigs had a couple of scratched corneas over the years and my vet always made a point to remind me never to use a steroid ointment on that kind of injury.