Alice- female discharge

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm

You have a good vet.

Some UTI's can be very stubborn. What course of treatment were you given (i.e., 14 days, 21 days etc.)?

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:25 pm

14 days. She said she is surprised at how good her appetite is.
I'm just glad my girl is going to be ok.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:40 am

Alice has been on Bactrim since Friday evening.
She is not a big water drinker, so I left extra on her salads.
Her poops started getting a little sausage looking so I now syringe her 2cc water every couple of hours during the day.
Her appetite has gone down slightly, however, her hay consumption has gone up.
Alice is more active now than before she got her UTI.
Swelling of her girl bits has gone down considerably and the discharge is minimal. She still squeaks when she pees, if it is a really big pee. Otherwise, she is acting pretty normal.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 pm

You can also offer her unflavored Pedialyte. Most guinea pigs love it and it can really supplement their fluid intake.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 am

Well, off to the vet we go today.
I gave Alice a leaf of Romaine Saturday morning. By Saturday evening, her poop was softer than normal. I only gave her pepper and a half baby carrot for her evening feed.
Poop returned to normal. Sunday morning, I gave her green leaf and the poops got soft. Repeated the Saturday routine. Poop was totally normal Monday. I only gave pepper and half baby carrot for breakfast Monday. Poop was fine. I gave a small bit of green leaf last night. Poop is totally normal today.
She is steadily gaining weight.
Current age is around 3 1/2 months.
Current weight is 1 lb. 5 oz.
My current concern is that she sounds a little stuffy.
When she calls for veggies or does happy sounds, you can hear in her nose that it is stuffy.
Last night she did what I assume was a cough? It sounded almost like someone smacking their lips. She did this twice and not again. She had just eaten part of her carrot before it happened.
No crust in the eyes. No lethargy. Nothing out of the ordinary except for being a bit crabby. Will update after the vets.
Any thoughts are always welcome.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Back from the vet. Alice is going to be pretty ticked off, but she can't have greens for a day or two. I have to monitor her closely to check for any signs of bloat. She said I could do the pedialyte route. If the poop continues to be soft, we may need an ultrasound.
She really is acting normal. She has always cried out when touching her belly. She is as active as always. Eating, not drinking.....
I have to syringe her water because she refuses to drink. The vet said I could put a drop or two of pedialyte in the water to encourage drinking.
I could be worrying about nothing too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 pm

I don't think you are. I think you are being a responsible, caring pet owner who realizes that small prey animals do not overtly demonstrate illness until they reach the point of being unable not to; i.e., very seriously ill.

If she likes the Pedialyte, you can put the entire bottle full of it. It has to be thoroughly washed twice a day and changed out completely (then washed and bleached) about every third day, though, so it is a lot of work. Well worth it, however, if it helps hydrate her. (In my opinion. In our house my husband does all the bottle washing. ;-)

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks for the input, Talishan. I don't mind extra work. I'm a stay at home mom. An extra water bottle won't hurt. ;)
Her gut is what worries me. Sometimes she appears to have a little bloat but drops a load of poo and is fine. Her belly is mostly squishy.
She has been biting me today. I know the vet didn't help when she palpated her belly. She wants to give it a day or two and see what she is like after not having greens. She wasn't happy at dinner with only having green pepper and carrot.
Next step will be ultrasound, if we can't figure this out.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am

Without looking back, have her droppings ever been looked at under a microscope?

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:11 am

No. They haven't. And up until last weekend, there was not a cause for concern. I'm definitely monitoring her very closely.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:12 am

Oh no. Poor baby. I hope she feels better soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:17 am

If you're not too far from the vet, run a few by them and see if they'll take a look at them. (No refrigeration necessary unless it's overnight, and no particular timeframe -- unlike urine, which has to be delivered within a couple of hours. Just take them a ziploc with some turds in it. :-) Pig need not be present.

Guinea pigs (as well as most other mammals, including us) have a host of microorganisms in the gut. If these get out of balance and one or more overgrows (same idea as a yeast infection in a human female), you can get intermittently soft droppings, bad smelling droppings, etc.

If it's bad enough to worry with, Flagyl (metronidazole) usually clears it up and is well tolerated by most pigs.