Jessie and the vet part two

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:23 am

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... sc&start=0
That is a link to Jessie's old thread for anyone who wishes to read it.
It all started back in September 2006. We had just lost Choloe to cancer of the bladder and we got Jessie as a friend for Zoe.
Jessie's first 3 years were uneventful, she would eat nothing but grass, hay and pellets.
Then in September 2009 Jessie started to eat other foods mostly soft foods. In October she had X-rays which showed she had an abscess. The abscess was marsupilised BUT the cause of the abscess was never looked into.
Over the coming months Jessie would have 4 more abscesses and 4 more surgeries.
May 2010 we went to another vet with a better dental machine and had her x-rayed which showed she had a bad tooth.
We had 3 options, leave her as is and she would slowly starve to death, let her rest forever or go with the surgery which she had a 10% survival rate.
As Jessie was/is a fighter we went with the surgery and she made it through! About 3 -7 days after surgery it was noticed Jessie's mouth was misaligned, it was thought her jaw was fractured. In October Jessie tried the chin sling which she hated and X-rays were taken to show she had elongated roots.
Again world war 3 started trying to get the vets to file her teeth to the gum line, but eventually our vets contacted Dr Lengendre in Canada who is a piggy teeth expert and he convinced them to file to gum line.
Through this Jessie has had motility issues where she is either not pooping or has the runs or is doing everything a piggy should but all the food not moving through her tummy at once.
All through this fantastic journey Jessie has remained a fighter and we hope this continues. To many she is just a guinea pig but to me who has depression, a fear of people, and no friends she is my world, we live for her and the biggest struggle has been with the vets, espeically those who think they know about guinea pigs but are too ashamed to admit they know little if any.
Here is what Jessie looks like taken about 2 years ago when Jessie was fit and healthy, she is a mix breed but she has a heart of gold and she has taken our hearts with her.
Jessie is not a cuddly piggy but that doesn't matter to us as we love her just as much.
Will keep you posted.
All through our journey many have followed it, some offered advise or support BUT all through our journey to date Pinta has been a brick! A wolrd of advise, patience and support and Jessie and I would like to say thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks for your update. Hoping she will still be with you for a long time.

somechick

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Jessie is adorable and here is what I posted on the old thread in case you missed it:

Definitely reading -- wondering how on earth you're still able to be awake and functional through all of this, as it's been so so long. I don't have any suggestions that you probably haven't tried.

I don't know if this was mentioned but if you leave soft pellets in a bowl in her cage will she eat it? That's what we started doing with Dudley. She just won't eat hard pellets (long story, not getting into it here) so we were syringe feeding constantly. Now we've stopped and we just put a bowl of warm pellet mash in her condo. She eats it right away and less as it cools, but does still eat it. Then we give fresh/warm when we get home from work or throughout the day when we're not at work. She's maintaining her weight. Not gaining like I'd like, but maintaining.

If you did that - could she eat on her own and maintain weight?

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Jessie is cute! Thanks for posting the picture.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 am

Thank you for the replies Lynx, Somechick and C. Cole-Chakotay, I forgot to mention that the x-rays in October 2010 showed Jessie's jaw had never been broken in fact 3 of the teeth near the one that was removed had moved to fill the vacant spot of the removed tooth causing her mouth to be misaligned.
Seems every time she gets her teeth filed her mouth becomes more misaligned. Will keep you posted, Somechick have tried leaving mashed pellets and also Critical care for Jessie but she will not have a bar of it. Jessie's bottom teeth around around 3 and 9 o'clock, will try and take a picture soon.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:08 am

Oh, poor Jessie. My Gilbert's teeth got that misaligned after just one tooth trim. His vet said that it was because his jaw was compromised from elongated roots.

You have been doing a great job with her!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:16 am

Jessie has developed a small lump in the corner of her eye, it is not hard and if human I would say it is a wart. Any suggestions? She sees the vet Thursday for teeth filing. Thanks for the reply PinkRufus, sorry to hear about Mr Gilbert.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:19 am

Is it on her eye or eye lid?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:24 am

It is in the corner of the eye, guess you would say the tear duct or eye lid. It is small and we have only just noticed it. Thanks for the reply PinkRufus.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:27 am

Here's some info about eye conditions:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=77

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks for the link and reply PinkRufus. None of the pictures looked like Jessie's lump. Have the batteries on charge and then will take a picture. Will keep you posted.

flutterbye

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 am

I'm still reading and rooting for Jessie every step of the way, I don't have any medical advice to offer but I do say a prayer and send healing vibes every time you post with an update on your brave little one.

Keep fighting Jessie & daisymay, lots of love and best wishes xxx