Really need urgent advice about intro issues

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:13 pm

I have done many intros of new pigs into my herd over the years, but none have gone quite like this. I am very very worried about how Nikki is doing. Beau and Nikki came from SC where they were rescued from a garage. They spent a week in SC then were piggytrained to Florence AL, where I picked them up and brought them home to Memphis. Throughout that journey and in three different homes they ate. Nikki has always been the more nervous one, but still she would eat. In the car, in each new place. Here in her quarantine cage she ate. Even during the initial intros on neutral ground, she ate.

But now that she is in the big cage with Beau and three new cagemates, she is petrified and not eating or really moving. she found a cuddle cup shortly after being put in the cage and that is where she has stayed. That was 8 hours or so ago. I thought she had moved when I went in to feed them all about an hour ago, but what she had really done is get UNDER the cuddle cup.

I hate seeing her like this. I have not seen any of the others giving her any grief or any reason to be so scared. Should I divide the cage and have her and Beau on one side and the other three on the other side? Or should I give it until morning?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Sending good thoughts for Nikki, and I hope she gains her confidence soon.

It almost seems as if she is spooked by something inside the cage.

If you put food in front of her, will she eat?

If she is not eating anything at all, you might want to divide the cage for the night.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:32 pm

No, I put her in a pigloo with food and no other pig even went close to the pigloo, yet she didn't eat. I cleaned the area under the loft (where she had been holed up) and put in new cuddle cups, then moved her back and again put food in front of her and she ignored it. Beau is eating, he's still teeth chattering at times and brrwaggling, but he is at least eating.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:40 pm

My good thoughts being sent as well. Perhaps it's just the, to her, bigger number of piggys in the cage.

BTW, stay safe with your water woes.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 pm

You've done everything that I would do.

When Sakura first came to my home, she was very, very shy. She reacted much like Nikki. Eventually, I dimmed the lights and worried, in the dark, until I heard her munching. She took about 24 hours to relax enough to eat and drink.

rkog

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:55 pm

The day I night I got her, I covered the cage with a blanket because she wouldn't come out of the pigloo. I heard munching and running soon after, and she was fine the next day. Can you cover part of the cage so she doesn't feel so exposed? I suspect she'll eat when she feels she isn't being watched. That girl likes her food!

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 pm

She is under the loft. But sure I can cover more of the cage. I'll go do that now. I just wish Beau would stay with her, that would probably ease her discomfort a bit, but he's too busy investigating. Plus I think Maggie is in season, he's been very interested in her back end and keeps brrr waggling around her. She is ignoring him.

Absinnu

Post   » Sun May 01, 2011 12:53 am

Maybe she would be more comfortable with eating if you have some lap or floor time with her? Give her a pile of hay to nose through, see if she'll take veggies from your hand.

You can block her view of the other residents, but she can still hear and smell them. If it's the environment that's keeping her from eating, take her out of it for a bit, yeah?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 am

I covered the cage just outside of the loft and the 2x2 hayloft last night. Shortly after that she did move out from under the loft and into a pigloo. She was still not eating but at least she was moving a bit. This morning the cage is still pretty unsettled, even some of the current residents were slow to come eat, but Nikki showed interest in the plate, stretching her nose out as far as she could. So I put a handful directly in front of her and she did eat. She is still very nervous, but at least she is eating and moving.

Beau is still very interested in Maggie and she is one of the ones who was slow to come eat (Cookie was the other). He is also walking around with his nose in the air as if to say, "this is my kingdom". And he is challenging Emma. I did find two tufts of his hair but no blood. Not sure who removed his hair but I bet it was either Emma or Maggie.

I plan to keep a close watch on them today. Would love to see Nikki in the haybox eating hay.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sun May 01, 2011 10:52 am

I had the same thing happen when I introduced Ginny. But, Ginny was blind and she was freaked by the big cage. I ended up having to build a smaller cage for her. I got Sweet_P shortly after and so I put the 2 of them together and they did fine in the small cage.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun May 01, 2011 1:16 pm

She is in a pigloo now, seems relaxed, but I still haven't seen her in the haybox to eat hay. She has run through there in a panic, but not yet to relax and eat. I feel for her. Beau is her emotional support and he's pretty much abandoned her. We will see how today goes. I've already decided how I will divide the cage if need be. It will only take two grids and a few cable ties.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun May 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Nikki's eating hay in the covered haybox! Yea! She is still rather hyper nervous and jumpy but does seem to be calming down a bit. *wipes forehead*

Maybe this will work after all.