Questions/Stories?

Squeaglez

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm

So I am a beginner and I have lots of questions and thought that instead of making hundereds of new threads just make one that i can write all my questions and stories on and hopefully you will to! So here are some of my questions:

1) Should I adopt a piggy from a rescue for my only 4 month old male? Here is the website of the rescue =)

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/page.aspx?pid=291

2)I am planning to adopt around the end of the month, Is that OK?

3) How long should I quarentine my new piggy?

4)Boars could go with boars right or is that a problem?

Please answer =) !

Guineadaddy

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Your best point to start with would be to make an appointment with the rescue to have your current piggie looked at. This would be to verify the health and sex of your little one.

Most of the time a rescue would not put a piggie up for adoption without it being ready to be adopted. That being said, has your piggie had a vet visit and been treated for mites? if it is from a breeder or store it could have problems already.

There are many good threads here, read up on the feeding and health first, it will go a long way in making your piggies life and yours more enjoyable.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 pm

It is best to adopt but the link you posted is to an animal shelter .. not a rescue just to clarify. Here is info on quarantine https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

Boars can get along fine if given enough cage space and matched properly.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 10:08 pm

It would probably be better to put him with an older boar so that they're not going through puberty together. But yes, make sure it's a boy first. Pet stores make a lot of mistakes.

Since he's only 4 months he should get an alfalfa based pellet until he is 6 months. Then he should get a timothy based pellet. Since you're in Canada you should get Oxbow Cavy Performance until he's 6 months and then Cavy Cuisine because I don't know if you can get Kleenmama's there and it would cost too much.

They need at leas a cup of veggies a day and this includes: lettuces(not iceberg), red or green leaf, romaine, endive, escorole, bell peppers, cilantro. Also once or twice a week, kale, red or green swiss chard, mustard greens and so on. Once a week they can have a small amount of fruit.

Unlimited grass hay. Timothy, orchard are just two grass hays.

Squeaglez

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Guineadaddy- I am going to get a appointment as soon as I find a vet that acutually has great guinea pig expeirience =)

sus4rabbitsnpigs- What is the difference between a rescue and a shelter? I asked my sister and she said that place is both and by the way that is that closest shelter like place I know about =(. Is a 5X4 C&C cage enough for 2 boars?

Debs4Pigs- I read lots of forums that are on finding out the gender of your piggy and by what those forums say my piggy is a male =) My piggy is a four month old and the one up for adoption is a 2 year old so I dont think puberty will be a problem. My pigglet gets unlimited Oxbow Alfalfa. My young ladies man gets one full leaf of romaine lettuce, ( I kinda trained him to do tricks to get lettuce =) you could read more about it on his documentry https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61427 ) one baby carrot, 1 out of 4 of a tomato, 1 out of 8 green bell pepper and some cucumber. Here are some pictures of him

Image Image
Last edited by Squeaglez on Tue May 10, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Myndy

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 8:52 pm

sus what is the difference between a shelter and a rescue?
Please don't flame me I just am asking.
I thinking different terms are used in different countries

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Squeaglez I just wanted to pop in and say your little piggy is quite the cute little mop!

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 9:14 pm

First thing you will have to do before getting a friend is get rid of the pet store cage. That is not nearly big enough. A two year old pig will be good with a baby.

Myndy

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Squeagles and I must have been typing at the same time. Her question wasnt there when I posted.
I am trying to post and do a search about cage sizes at the same time. Sorry for the repeat.

Squeaglez

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 9:17 pm

O he dosn't live in a petstore cage anymore now he lives in a nice and big C&C cage =) The pet store cage was all I had while I had to get my Connecters =)

Squeaglez

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 pm

We must have cause I didnt see your post either =P
Same as this time =P

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 9:49 pm

A rescue is usually devoted to just one kind of animal, whether it be dogs, cats, guinea pigs, whatever. Their mission is just what it says -- to rescue needy animals. Good rescues provide vet care, decent food, adequate housing, etc., and generally screen their adopters.

A shelter may take in many kinds of animals, and may or may not euthanize animals if they are not considered adoptable, or if they get too many to handle. Many are run by various local governments, such as cities, townships, etc.

These definitions are not hard and fast -- you can find very good shelters who screen adopters and who give very good care to animals, and you can find rescues not worth the name.