In case anybody still thinks these are easy and cheap pets!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Unfortunately factual costs won't scare off the true idiots from getting guinea pigs .. they just won't pay for the vet care and get new ones.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Sadly sus4rabbitsnpigs, that is true.
Doesn't GL have $10,000 pig?
Lucky (r.i.p.) was a $1,000 pig from week one. I gave up on keeping who cost what after that. SG (avatar) wasn't far behind her though. They are the two that made me get all the pigs their own credit card though.

LightningPig1

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Not only is it just expensive, it gets pricy when vets don't know what they're doing!!

I had to spend over 150 dollars just to get rid of some stupid lice. I really don't even want to go to the story with the vet :/

rpaws

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 pm

WindeSpirit,
You got all your guinea pigs their own credit card. How did you do that? My little ones keep swiping mine.

seraphanjil

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

I had to drop a rescue piggie to my vet tonight. He got turned in with a ruptured abscess on Saturday and let me just say... ew

I"ll let you guys know how much that runs me to get it lopped off

Toasypony

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Honestly. I have a care credit card that all my vet bills go on... just since February to now we are over $2,000 for two very sick pigs, one of which passed (R.I.P Izzie). Towards the end of the other sick pig's treatment (almost done!) I think our vet felt bad and started discounting our bills - free anesthesia here, free nail clippings there - needless to say we love our exotics vet.

I want to kick everyone who says that they "require minimal care and don't cost anything to own" in the face. I wish people would educate themselves more and give their pet the best lives they can. People who think piggies are "throwaway pets" make me sick and mad.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Jerry, that had a recurring abcess, had one bill that was over $1300 and then when it came back again another for over $600. Then at the end he had to be put to sleep. My husband was livid over the first bill.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Yes, WS, GLynx has a $10,000 pig: his name was Spin (RIP my baby). It would give my mom a stroke if she knew I spent that kind of money on him only :) He lived almost 7 years, and was a smart, cute and I just adored him.

Mom2boars

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Wow-we-wow!! I guess I am truly lucky with the amount of money I've spent!! I've only had my two for a year and they've been very healthy so far. I spend most of my money on toys, ect. for them! VERY spoiled to say the least!! I had to take Phineas to the vet this past Friday for what I thought was a URI--thank goodness it wasn't! I tend to be a bit over-protective and worry about everything. Anyway, my vet was teasing me about how pampered Phineas and Wheeky are. I love doing it though, no matter how much it costs. I spent birthday money on them instead of myself!

And YES. It infuriates me to hear people call GP's "disposable pets". No pet is "disposable". They're not a tissue for cryin' out loud. They are a living creature that deserve love and care and depend on us to provide it.

tashab

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Our Princess has also been a very expensive pig - at least $3000-$4000 on three major surgeries (including tests and follow-up meds) in the last 2 1/2 years.
That doesn't include the costs of the intensive mite treatment we had to do on both Rosie & Princess when we first got them, or the xrays and follow up we had to do for Rosie's bladder sludge issue.
Oy vey. I'm never looking at all these receipts in detail. Alden, you are brave!

GuineaKidsMomma

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 10:33 pm

I recently had someone say to me, "They're critters! They'll be fine!" when I was mentioning how difficult it is to get our stupid A/C to keep the piggy room/office at a good temperature. (One reason I'm glad we're moving soon!) She also once said that she couldn't imagine paying for surgery for an animal. :(

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Well I'm pretty sure that dollar-per-ounce the hamster came out the most expensive last year, but the pigs gave her a run for it.

And I don't get the not-treating either, especially if you can see the pet's in pain. What was I going to do, ignore the hay sticking out of Snickers's eyeball? Who does that???