I'm worried about Rosie.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:27 pm

He was doing so well. Now I'm not so sure.

I gave him a subcue last night and he absorbed it in less than three hours (12 cc's). I was going to give him another tonight and see how fast he absorbed it. I can't get his penis to extrude so I think he is already dehydrated.

I just picked him up for his lunchtime feeding. He reeks of feces, really smelly feces, not guinea pig poops (which doesn't really smell that bad to me). He has some poop on his anal area and some even looks like it's stuck on his sheath. I tried cleaning him up as best as I could and I got feces all over me - hands, shirt, everywhere.

To recap, he has been getting Bactrim q12h for the mouth ulcerations and the URI symptoms, a subcue as needed (every 12 or 24 hours), Critical Care pellet mash (Pellets, CC, Pedialyte, peach baby food, baby rice meal, healthy pig poops) that he's taking in huge amounts (sometimes 12 cc's a sitting, sometimes 20 cc's), Bene-Bac gel an hour after the Bactrim, Pedliayte in the water bottle, and as many pellets, fresh veggies, and stalks of hay as he wants (those are unlimited but he doesn't eat much). Last night he ate more veggies on his own than he has the entire time he's been sick: Dill, parsley, kale, romaine, carrots, and dandy greens.

He is scheduled for teeth planing Thursday.

There are almost no poops in his cage today. The ones that are there are large unformed, very soft and mushy. They stink. He was eating his poops yesterday and they looked a lot better then than they do now.

His stomach felt tight to me. I tapped it and it made a thunky hollow sound. I massaged his stomach for 20 minutes with my fingers (producing more soft poop) and now it doesn't sound as thunky. He was passing audible smelly gas yesterday, but I have not heard (or smelled) any today. His stomach makes gurgly sounds.

He is laying in my lap, shivering.

I called the vet and they told me to come get some medicine. I spoke with the accountant who does not know anything about gp meds and he kept calling what I was coming to get "Lactose" but I doubt that's right. I am on the way up there to get some meds.

Somebody please tell me what to do. I thought he was getting better.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:37 pm

I have Gas-X here for "gas and bloating".

It contains (active) 125 mg Simethicone
(inactive) D&C yellow #10, FD&C Blue 1, FD&C Red 40, gelatin, glycerin, peppermint oil, purified water, sorbitol, and titanium dioxide.

Would this be safe to give Rosie for his gas? How much of a dose?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:06 pm

It would probably work. Check the medications page for a child sized dose. I would try to warm somehow him gentley. You don't want him to shiver.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:12 pm

Lactulose. What is this medication? What is it for? Everybody was in surgery when I went up there just now and I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:17 pm

Ok, so it's a laxative. He already HAS soft mushy poops, but he's not pooping a lot. Will this drug help or hurt him? Can I use this drug Lactulose in combination with Simethicone for his gas? I need to up his SQ fluids, right? Twice daily? Argh, this is so frustrating, I know NOTHING about bloat..

If bloat is caused by lack of fiber, can I up my Critical Care content in the mush I'm giving him and get more fiber into him that way? Is there any other way to get fiber into a pig that's not eating hay? Should I hold off on feeding him while he's bloated?

The Simethicone I have comes in a softgel. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a pig-sized dose out of the softgel? Rosie weighs 797 grams. The softgells are 125 mg apiece.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:26 pm

My mother has a prescription for 10 mg Reglan. She has offered to give me some if it will help Rosie.

I need any suggestions you guys can give me on doseages and how to make a dose from an adult dose, because i'm an idiot and I'm worried and can't think straight. I haven't given Rosie ANY medication yet until I hear back from you on what's safe. Please. I am scared to give him a laxative as he's already dehydrated and I can't give him a subcue alone.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:39 pm

My Angel was dosed at .7cc twice per day when she was given Reglan. She weighs 2.8lbs.

Hope that helps.

Carol

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:44 pm

Para-
10mg? Pills? Suspension? What's the concentration?

minismama

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:46 pm

Para,

First, before you do anything else.....
1) put your hands on the table
2) close your eyes
3) inhale as deeply as possible, hold breath a few seconds
4)now exhale
5) repeat steps 3 & 4 until you feel your mind slow down and you thoughts stop racing so much

Someone more experienced with pig meds will be along soon. But, the info won't do any good if you are not thinking clearly due to excessive agitation. And, Rosie will pick up on how you are feeling.

Having a critically ill pig sucks extremely.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:52 pm

Evangeline, the Reglan my mother has is a 10 mg pill. I would have to crush up a half or a fourth and suspend it in something to get a lower dose.

The Simethicone is 150 mg gelcaps. I am on the phone with a human pharmacy to find out what the concentration is and the pediatric dose is, so I can approximate what a guinea pig should get.

The Lactulose I am afraid to give is .2ml orally q12h. I have 3 ml of it. I do not know the concentration.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. I'm just concerned.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:57 pm

The pharmacist has something call Malacon, which is infant Simethicone liquid. The usual dose for an infant is 20 mg, so if I give 10 mg to Rosie would that be ok? I can head out to the Pharmacy right now.

I called the vet about the Lactulose. They said that it is a motility drug that also works as a Laxative. That if he has a bunch of poops inside him that aren't coming out (very likely as he's eaten almost 140 mg of CC mash in the last 24 hours, plus 1/3 cup of pellets and 1 cup of veggies) that it will make him poop, and might dehydrate him.

We're going to do a subcue and give him the Lactulose and go out and get some of the Simethicone for infants.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:46 pm

Yes, 10 mg will be fine regarding the simethicone. The dose for reglan in mg/kg is on the meds page.

https://www.guinealynx.info/medications.html#reglan
1mg-0.2mg/kg