renal disease

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 11, 2011 1:21 pm

bpatters, you rock! Viscera and ligated. Yes!!!

I can't make out what it says at the very end, can you? I have enhanced it a little:

I had been in touch with Dr. Horton myself a while back, to ask about the procedure. She was very nice and wanted to know what questions I had, but I didn't have a chance to write back. I sent this over to her this morning and asked if she would mind "filling in the blanks," but haven't heard back yet. I think you're spot-on on those two words, BP.

Again, thanks for sharing this, ElvisTCB. Very greatly appreciated. :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Here's another go at it:

Caudoventral incision made midline at area of urinary bladder extending to umbilicus. Abdominal viscera visualized. Dilated right ureter, stone isolated at neck of bladder in ureter. Several small stones found in distal right Cowpers gland. Area packed of with ?? gauze. Incision made into bladder near neck, stone gently manipulated forward into bladder for removal. 4-0 PDS _____ and SI to close. Area flushed well. Cowpers gland tip with stone ligated and removed. End over sewn PDS 4-0 PDS. Pack and gloves changed. .9% NaCl flush again. 3-0 PDS to close. SI body ____ SQ. SC _____

I think SI means "stab incision," and NACI is NaCl, or salt. SQ is probably sub-Q.

I can't read what is after SC, and I think we're missing the bottom of the document.

Yes, thanks, ElvisTCB.

ElvisTCB

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 1:42 am

You're very welcome! It was entertaining reading your posts trying to decipher everything.

That is the way the bottom of my document looks as well. If anything is cut off, I don't think it can be more than one line.

While Dr. Horton advised to do the surgery, she did say that she wasn't certain she'd be able to remove the stone. It sounds like perhaps the stone was in an easier location than she initially thought?

Sef, Dr. Horton doesn't work Wednesdays, so that could be why you have yet to receive a response (although I don't know how quickly you heard back from her the first time). I hope she realizes I'm just sharing info with fellow piggy owners, as opposed to questioning her. She knows I switched to her due to no longer trusting my former vet (who I had hoped to sue at the time).

I recently also requested the files of both my girls/postponed Kona's biopsy in hopes of gaining a better understanding of what is going on first & don't want her thinking otherwise.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 6:48 am

ElvisTCB -- No worries. :) I had explained that we belong to the same guinea pig owners' group, that you had mentioned about the surgery and I was interested to know how the hydropulsion was performed, as I had lost a guinea pig (Zachary) to ureteral stones and thought that the procedure was fairly uncommon in guinea pigs. She was very friendly and offered to answer any of my questions (interestingly, she didn't say that it wasn't a ureteral hyropulsion; maybe we're missing something?).

Many thanks again! :)))