Chubbles' medical thread

Brainerror

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 6:39 am

Chubbles, mother to Squee adopted from the same "rescue" as Squee. I say "rescue" as I found out they bred their pigs :( Chubbles was going to be sold on to a pro-breeder so we intervened.

I was told she was 2,5 at the time, but I think she is much older then that. We've had her for 9 months now & I reckon she's closer to being 4.

We took her to the vet today as she had started peeing blood 2 days ago, smelled of fish and had lost some weight (about 60g). She'll be on baytril, metacam and cystease for 10 days. Since Chubbles has had gritty urine in the past (but we improved this by increased fluids/cranberry) we think there might be a small chance there are stones present, so if after 10 days there is no improvement or conditions return, we'll take her in for an x-ray.

Currently she weighs in at 956g.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 am

She is gorgeous! Love her black nose and her colouring. She is so lucky to have found her way to her home and I hope all goes well with the anitbiotics and that there are NO stones or anything else there. Hugs and healing vibes.

BamBam

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 am

I've just parted company with a rescue that carries on a similar practice (amongst others). I find it totally reprehensible.

Fingers crossed for Chubbles (lovely name)

Brainerror

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 7:50 am

This is the 3rd time a rescue claimed to be genuine and turn out to be show breeders just wanting to continue - it's sickening.

I did find 2 others now that are 100% safe so I'll be going there in the future. I had one nearby where I volunteered, but they had to close due to financial difficulty :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 8:56 am

Hoping for the best. An xray is certainly a wise move. I hope there are no stones.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 9:17 am

She's beautiful! I too hope there's nothing serious going on.

tashab

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Sending good thoughts your way.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 9:50 pm

She's is so regal looking! I hope she responds to the meds and everything quiets down again.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 6:17 am

Thanks everyone - I do think she is the prettiest in our herd ( I'm not allowed to say it in front of them ;), but a little slow upstairs ha-ha.

She's doing a bit better already. Her urine is now a pinkish orange instead of the bright pink/red we saw the day before. She also seems to smell less fishy which is only a bonus.

Still dropping weight gradually though despite feeding CC which worries me a little. I hope it picks up in a couple of days when the discomfort eases off.

worldangel

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 6:19 am

"I do think she is the prettiest in our herd ( I'm not allowed to say it in front of them ;), but a little slow upstairs ha-ha."

LOL!

Hope she will get well soon!

Brainerror

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 am

;)

Chubbles is perkier already and has stopped smelling. Her urine is no longer bloody, so that's good. She's also sloooowly gaining weight.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 8:16 am

Chubbles is stunning!!♥

There are several rescues here who breed too!