What appears to be an impaction may not always be.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 11:20 am

When we got back from vacation I noticed Lion( almost 4 neutered male) was swollen in his man bits area. Odd I thought knowing that pigs who are neutered usually do not get impacted. I did clean him per the GL directions and quite a bit of junk came out, however he was still very swollen, and fearing that my inexpertise might injure him I took him into the vet. Glad that I did because what I thought was a bad case of impaction happened to be his intestines. They had punched through the wall of his perineal sack. Right where the lingual bit is. Not sure if he did not heal up completely when neutered or if the skin was just thinner due to neutering. Guess that will never be known for sure. The surgery was noted as hernia and neuter repair.

Anyway he had a major surgery to put his intestines back into his stomach cavity. He is doing well and is on Baytril for another 6 days.

I just thought I would share since the vet said he had never seen or heard of that happening in a Guinea Pig.

Brainerror

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 11:26 am

Pffffffff poor guy! that sounds absolutely horrible *shudders* Glad he's doing well!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 11:41 am

Yikes VP! I'm glad Lion is doing well now poor baby.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 11:47 am

Yipes! So glad you saw the vet! From what little I understand, there is an inguinal ring that helps keep everything in place. Glad he had an observant owner! Hope he heals fine. How long ago was he neutered?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 11:55 am

Ouchie. Poor baby.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Eeek! Yes, very glad he has an observant owner! :)

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 12:26 pm

He was neutered about 3 and half years ago. Yes the inguinal ring was what it went through. Not sure why I wrote lingual.

It just scared me that it was so swollen. If it had not been so big ( think golf ball size) I may have just thought it was only impaction.
The vet was worried he would not survive the initial 24 hour recovery but the surgery was Friday and he is doing very well. Begging for food. Pooping like crazy. He has more poop in his cage than the other 3 combined. They did have to shorten his intestine a bit to get it to fit back in place.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Good for you noticing it!

I had a neutered boar who herniated into his scrotal sac. We realized later when he became blocked by a stone that he must have been straining to urinate. He died of compllcations from the subsequent surgeries, making me very anxious about neutering another boar.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 1:04 pm

I had an unneutered boar, which we thought had a abscess, on his testicle, but the lump turned out to be his herniated bladder.

Unfortunately he did not survive the surgery to fix it.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Wow. That is not something I expected to see - and respect to the vet that carried out surgery on intestines.

I hope he continues to recover nicely.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue May 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Wow...I'd never think of that. But now, I'll know that if I ever see anything that just doesn't look right, I should act on it. Lion's so lucky you were paying attention to his manbits and knew when to get help.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Wed May 18, 2011 9:18 am

Yay! He popcorned this morning. I am so relieved to see him acting "normal". :)