Hello! New Guinea Pig owner!

rosiea

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Well, I just talked to the vet. All the tests came back A+! Fast Feet's neuter is scheduled for next Friday! After everything I've learned about guinea pigs, I feel very, very lucky that I have two very healthy little ones!

Mom2boars

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Yay!! So glad they are both healthy!

Hunybee

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 6:35 pm

I would not let them free range outside in the garden unless you are there to stand over them and watch them. Large Birds can swoop down in an instant. Also you'll need to make sure there is adequate shade.

rosiea

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Oh, I would definitely be out there with them...my guinea pigs are not birdy food! I haven't let them yet, mainly because I'm worried about the flowers. Will they eat them if they're poisonous to guinea pigs?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 7:30 pm

As someone on this forum has said, they're little goats. They'll eat anything that stands still long enough. You should be able to google up something on edible flowers, or put them some sort of pen to keep them out of the flower beds entirely.

frillint

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Personally I wouldn't let them eat directly out of the garden. Your veggies should be washed and such any way. You never know what animals could pee or anything.

rosiea

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Oh, that's a good point! There *is* a lot of wildlife around here. I did do a google search for flowers and guinea pigs, but didn't find much. Oh, well. I think their diets will be varied enough with what I know I *can* feed them already. =)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 pm

I doubt you'll find anything googling flowers and guinea pigs, but if you google "edible flowers" you should come up with a pretty good list.

rosiea

Post   » Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 am

Well, I've decided to keep them on the pellets, at least until I don't need to keep looking at the nutrition chart. Besides that, I'll probably keep them on them through the winter, since organically grown veggies/greens are *so* expensive in the winter, if you can even find them! Like I said, I make my dog's food, but his nutritional needs are way more simple than these guys! =D

frillint

Post   » Sat May 21, 2011 10:43 am

I think that would be best for them :)

Hunybee

Post   » Sat May 21, 2011 11:23 am

Ok, so when do we get to see more pictures?

rosiea

Post   » Sat May 21, 2011 11:28 am

I wanted to wait on more pictures until they get a little more comfortable. Right now they jump and go hide at anything!