Skinny Pig Palace

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 1:45 pm

It all started with Barnaby.
He was my first pet after I had moved into my own house.
I knew I wanted a guinea pig and ended up with a skinny pig.
He was so cute and ugly at the same time, I couldn't resist.

This is Barnaby after I got him.

Here is a video of him, he loved his floor time.

Barnaby lead me into the world of proper guinea pig care. After I got him I did a lot of research and ended up on wonderful sites such as this one. It wasn't long after I got him that I realized he needed a large cage and a friend. So that is how Ernie came to be.
I researched introductions and boy am I glad I did. It was a scary thing to witness but all worked out in the end.

Ernie after I just got him

Barnaby and Ernies first cage. They were divided to get to know eachother and shortly after I did their introductions.
(I learned as I went along what shouldn't be in a guinea pig cage, such as those darn treat sticks).

Their cage then morphed into this.

There were some issues with lack of space, tiffs that I felt more room would help solve and sure enough it did. They have big personalities and needed room, so their cage turned into this.

Once my little guys were getting along like long lost buds, I decidied a door to their floor time was the answer, so that they could come and go as they pleased. I really miss this cage design but it took over the whole upstairs!!

To be continued...

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Yay, yay, yay! Lookit those cuties! I love Ernie's blonde spot. :)

You have some fantastic cage designs.

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 2:22 pm

This is so exciting! I love your boys! We are going to do a naked attack of the chronicles!

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 2:35 pm

They look so small without their fur.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 pm

I enjoyed Barnaby and Ernie so much that I wanted to find another skinny pig boar to add to the mix. Perhaps this wasn't a smart idea.
I found Grover, he was adorable and had such unique colouring.
I quarantined him and then did the introduction. Everything went fairly well and after a few hours everyone was place back into the large cage.
Grover seemed to fit right in.

It wasn't long, maybe a week when I started noticing marks on Barnabys hind end. I wasn't sure what was happening, so I kept a close eye. Sure enough, I witnessed Grover jumping attack Barnaby. Poor Barnaby, my sweetest, most laid back, easy going piggy was being picked on. I became quite concerned because it wouldn't let up and Barnaby started to lose weight from stress.
There was only one choice, seperate Grover.

I wasn't happy with the little space I had quickly given him, so I soon updated the cage to allow him more running room.

frillint

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 6:40 pm

I love seeing all the cage changes!

LisasHerd

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 pm

I am not a good writer so I am not quite sure how to do this chronicle thing with my nekkers!!!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Just give it a whirl. I made some spelling mistakes and didn't realize till after the 10 minutes, I hate that. Spelling mistakes bother me.
I would love to see all about your piggies!

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:02 pm

All that color, soft, fluffy fleece!

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Lisasherd, feel free to post in mine. I started it for everyone that has part of our skinny family.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 pm

*cries* I'm not part of your skinny family :(

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 pm

You are an honorary member! If we didn't have stinking red tape, you would be.