Is this normal?

Bethy

Post   » Mon May 23, 2011 10:10 am

@ LisasHerd I'm like 15 mins from Greensburg in the Latrobe area.

CavySavvy

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 am

My girls have started doing that, too, lately. Lola mounts Buffy and pulls her fur out near her neck. It was really disturbing the first time I saw it, but I'm glad to hear it's just normal dominance behavior. She seems to have stopped now, but for two days she become extremely aggressive. I managed to get a short video of her doing it:

http://cavysavvy.blogspot.com/2011/05/mounting.html

TheVic
I gave in memory of Trotsky

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 10:20 am

I hope it's normal (and am pretty sure it is) since mine do it frequently.

Mostly Nigella mounting Molly:

But Molly gets her own back with some well-aimed spray-pee:

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 am

At what age can I expect my 2 to start this lovely past time? They're only 8 1/2 weeks old...

worldangel

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 am

They can start it anytime. Mine started around a week after I brought them into the same cage. It lasted for nearly 2 weeks.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 am

That video is so funny! I've seen it many times, but Molly was so nonchalant about it. she kept eating, aimed perfectly, let loose , continued eating, then calmly went over for a drink. Nigella, on the other hand, was so shocked it took her a minute to even realize what had happened and shake it off. Priceless.

TheVic

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 5:37 pm

I hoped nobody would mind me linking to it again :) I love that video too - especially how Molly heads off to the water bottle to reload.

Will the girl-on-girl mounting get worse when Trotsky (once neutered) moves in with them? I'm already going to have to put up with him doing it more than I'd like to see with his own mum and sisters.

Bethy

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks everyone things have settled down a little bit they are eating together and are getting along. It's not happening that often it's cute to watch them steal food off each other. Lol @ that video my girls haven't done yet so far I'm the only one that's gotten pee'd on.

TheVic

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Ah well - my Dad refers to it as a 'baptism' of sorts the first time a new pig pees on you. It's a rite of passage at any rate.

Bethy

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 3:10 pm

New Problem with Beatrice she is defiantly my drama queen she doesn't like her nails cut. I held her like your supposed to and she bit me a good one on the thumb she isn't to keen when it comes to nail cutting/ear cleaning/ bath time. I have human nail clippers I bough guinea pig ones but they are horrible to use. Any suggestions on how to make nail clipping time easy on us both?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

It's easier if there are two people -- one to hold the pig and the carrot and the other to clip. If I don't have a helper, I put the pig on the couch and back it into a corner (pad behind it with pillows if necessary), give it the carrot, and trim one foot at a time. I like cat nail clippers better than any other kind I've tried.

TheVic

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Two people definitely helps - the hold from this page (https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html) only works for the back legs for me - sometimes I also wrap them in a towel if I don't have anyone on hand to assist with the front feet.