C & C cage: To cover or not?

rosiea

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 1:40 pm

I have all the stuff for my c&c cage now. Of course, I won't be putting it up for a few weeks, as Fast Feet won't be neutered until tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should put a cover on it or not. I'd like to leave it uncovered, so I can interact with the little guys more easily. But I'm not sure.
Here are the conditions:
Cage will be on a 3 and a half foot high table.
I have a terrier, who seems to get along fine with the piggies. I always keep them separated, though. When the piggies have floor time, Louie goes in his room.
The table is tall enough that he can barely get his front paws on it. With the added height of the cage walls, I don't see any conceivable way he could get into it.
What I *am* worried about, though, is the guinea pigs getting OUT of the cage. Would it be possible for them to get over the walls?
Let me know what you all think!

LisasHerd

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I would put a lid on it made of grids. You can never be too safe, especially with a dog in the house.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 1:50 pm

I'd say if there is any doubt with your guinea pigs safety, put a lid on it. Better safe than sorry.

spedder

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 1:56 pm

To answer your last question--the only piggy I've seen try to scale the walls was a baby. Full grown piggies have arms that are way too short for their bodies, I've never seen one try. But the babies are more limber, less chunky, and have longer limbs proportionately. All that said, I agree about throwing at least a partial lid on it.

rosiea

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm

I've seen cages that have what seems to be some kind of shelving for the top. Is there any particular brand or type that people tend to use? I'm thinking of going with that, as it would be easier to put on and take off.

Travelingirl916

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 pm

It's the 16 inch depth Closet Maid shelving. You need two pieces that are about 4 inches longer than the lenghth of the cage. You can find it at Home Depot and they will cut it to the length you want.

rshevin

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 pm

I would recommend the shelving lids over those made from grids. They are VERY easy to lift back to interact with your pigs and can easily be removed entirely for cleaning and re-secured often if desired. There's no real brand or anything. Take your measurements and go to a big box home store like Lowes. They will be able to use some gigantic pneumatic snips to cut the shelving to the length you require for no additional cost. You can compare different lengths and figure out if you need 2 short lengths or if you can get one extra-long and cut it into 2 pieces (you need 2 pieces for the cage, they secure in the center with zip ties and open like a book). After you know what you need, press the little "I need help" button and someone will assist you with cutting.

There is no such thing as too much safety when there is a dog in the family. The lids aren't that expensive (in the $40 department) and are VERY easy to operate. The only restriction it will add is for making multiple levels, but single story cages are typically preferred anyway. It's rare but possible for pigs to scale full height grids. Dogs, however, are creative wee beasties.

rosiea

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Awesome! Thanks, everybody! I can't wait until I can get them together in the same cage. Not to mention getting them out of those "litter box" cages that they're in now. They are going to be so happy!

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 2:47 pm

I would go with a shelving lid. You can leave it open while you are home and interacting with the pigs and close it when you are gone.

I have a terrier mix named Louie and when he was younger, I would never leave him alone in the same room as the pigs. Now he is over 10 and I have a cage up on a table away from anything he can jump on to get to them. He is now more interested in sitting by the rat cage and watching them.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 2:55 pm

I think I'd go with a lid regardless because even though it's probably really rare, some cavies have climbed the side of cages to get out. But especially if the house has dogs or cats. Our cages are stacking, so the lids are made from the sturdy "tables" they are stacked under.

spedder

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Anyone have a link to a pic that shows this sort of shelving on a C & C?